Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: making & freezing foods

Default making & freezing foods

I want to make food for my LO, and read somewhere a while back about freezing in ice cube trays...do they need to be covered? I also want to freeze BM for momsicles.

Any advice on what I need to get started? What do you store the frozen stuff in?

What has worked for other moms?

So far DS is only eating banana and rice cereal. He LOVES frozen banana in the mesh feeders. It's so fun to see him so happy with food.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Default Re: making & freezing foods

I used to blend DS food in a food processor and quickly pour them in the icecube tray. Not covered (didnt think of covering it actually until you asked!). Once they are frozen store them in ziplock bags and mark them. I then store the bags in another separate container in the freezer.

I even froze rice porridge this way. And when I want to serve it to him, I would mix and match with different veggies, Rice+sweet potato one day, rice+pumpkin+peas the next day and so on..
    Last edited by selina21; November 25th, 2007 at 08:15 AM.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I usually cover the ice cube trays with some saran wrap while they are freezing. Once they are solid cubes, I transfer to plastic bags that are labeled with the food and the date it was made.
    For what it's worth - I got some of those silicone muffin and ice cube trays from Ikea and found that they work SOOOOO much better than regular ice cube trays. The food pops out easier and clean up is much simpler.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda's Mom View Post
    For what it's worth - I got some of those silicone muffin and ice cube trays from Ikea and found that they work SOOOOO much better than regular ice cube trays. The food pops out easier and clean up is much simpler.
    but I got mine at Target.

Once frozen I freeze cubes in tupperware containers (medium size). They stack, so storage is easier in my freezer.

Thanks for the tip about the silicone. I am going to Target later, so I know what to get now. Lots of baggies, silicone trays and medium containers

Whoo hoo.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

When Archie was a baby my late Grandma bought me 20 cheap small tupperware containers for freezing baby food. So I have dug those out and am using them again! (Thanks Gran )
    Never went down the ice cube tray line but it does sound good.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!