Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF/Bottle question

Default BF/Bottle question

My DD is 3 weeks old today. I would like to start pumping breastmilk so that DH can give her a bottle at night. At what age would be a good time to start giving her the bottle? I'm afraid she will like the easiness of the bottle and refuse the breast. Also afraid of nipple confusion. I was thinking about trying a bottle each night after she turned a month old. Thanks!

Default Re: BF/Bottle question

I think so long as breastfeeding is well established, a bottle will be fine.
    I remember being very concerned with nipple confusion in relation to pacifiers and bottles. I probably called my LC twelve times in the first three weeks. She suggested that when I felt comfortable with our bfing relationship, it would be fine to introduce something else.
    That's what we did, and now my boy is 5 months and has never had an issue with confusion----bottle or pacifier-----though I am able to stay home, so we rarely give him a bottle.

I think I offered Alasdair a bottle when he was about a month old. Mostly as a 'test' to see if he'd take it in case of an emergency.

I hope this helps.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

I think the books say to wait 6 weeks before introducing a bottle or paci.

Three weeks is kind of young to be having one feeding from a bottle unless you're going to pump a session. Your milk supply is still being established and if you start missing a time to nurse you might have problems further down the road.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    I think the books say to wait 6 weeks before introducing a bottle or paci.

Three weeks is kind of young to be having one feeding from a bottle unless you're going to pump a session. Your milk supply is still being established and if you start missing a time to nurse you might have problems further down the road.

Yes, I would like to pump, not give formula.

Quote Originally Posted by catspage View Post
    Yes, I would like to pump, not give formula.
    What she meant was that you should pump while the baby is getting the bottle, because otherwise it can screw up your supply. If you aren't pumping while your LO eats from the bottle, you aren't letting your body know your baby is needing to eat at that time.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy's Mommy View Post
    What she meant was that you should pump while the baby is getting the bottle, because otherwise it can screw up your supply. If you aren't pumping while your LO eats from the bottle, you aren't letting your body know your baby is needing to eat at that time.

Oh, thank you, that makes sense. I actually wouldn't mind if my milk supply slowed down some. I have OALD and I also leak so much that I soak through breast pads, through my bra, and through my shirt. My DD will eat every 1.5 to 2 hours. Occassionally she will sleep a three hour stretch and that is like heaven.

Leaking is completely normal. I still leak like that at 4 months - of course not every woman does.

I would hold off on giving a bottle until at the earliest 6 weeks if at all possible. Any bottles now hold a high risk of causing nipple confusion and bottle preferance. The chances of that happening later then 6 weeks is a lot smaller - as long as you continue to BF as often as possible.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Your milk supply will slow down once your breasts "figure out" how much milk is needed according to baby's schedule. My LO is almost 4 months old and I still have a lot of milk (sprays him in the face from time to time ). I would avoid giving a bottle right away... make a goal of just bfing for 6 weeks off the breast. Then pump a bottle. Don't wait too long to introduce a bottle, some babies won't take to one - but try to go at least 6 wks first, until your supply is on track.

HTH

Wait at least 6 weeks. Better yet, don't do it at all. You may find co-sleeping is more effective for a restful night's sleep.

I was lucky that my dd took to both bottle and breast and a paci (not using anymore though) with no problems. It's best to wait at least 6 weeks though. I like the suggestion about co-sleeping though. I did co-sleeping from the start, it was so easy to nurse at night that way. YThe pumping in the middle of the night was more of a pain then just rolling over and popping a boob into dd's mouth. She is 5 1/2 months old and sleeps well through the night in her crib so now there is no more need to co-sleep either.