Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrush

Default Thrush

I wrote in one post that I have had pain in my breast that feels like a needle going through it. I can happen during a feeding or an hour after. Someone wrote it could be thrush, but I didn't know what it was. I looked up what thrush was and the symptoms of it. However, I am not sure if I have it or not. I don't have any rashes and my baby does not have any white spots in her mouth. The only thing I have is sore nipples (first time BFer) and the needle pain once in a while. Should I look for any more signs? Could I just have this needle pain one in a while with out having thrush?
    I would appreciate any info on this..Thanks so much!!!

Default Re: Thrush

when i had thrush, it started out as the sharp pain and then progressed to a very itchy feeling on the breast. my nipples were so senstive it hurt to have anything brush against them. my ds never had any sort of white patches in his mouth. maybe you have caught it early? i was able to treat mine with nystatin liquid that i wiped on my nipples and swabbed in ds mouth.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

how did you know you had it? Did you go to the doctors?

my ob told me i was crazy and said it was a clogged duct (which i have had before, so i knew he was wrong) then a week later i was at ds ped and was describing the symptoms and he knew immediately what it was. so, i was diagnosed by a pediatrician, and he was the one who wrote the script, too!
    Lisa
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Same as Pigpen. My LO's Ped-doc treated both of us for thrush. However, what finally did the trick was Gentian violet (1% solution in water).

Here is a great link from Kellymom.com that was very helpful to me.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My LO had thrush for almost 3 months, and after we got a prescription for Gentian Violet it went away, I had a mild case of thrush on my nipples, they were shiny pink and hurt very badly, treated them with nystatin oral medication and it went away...then a month later DH had thrush only 10 times worse! Don't ask me how that happened!

Iyou suspect thrush, start getting it now. It absoloutly can't hurt to start treating it with home remedies. It's more of a nusance then a danger to anything. Some things you can try-

1. Gentian Violet- Will stain everything in site, but it does help. Make sure to cover the whole nipple and the aerola with it, as the thrush can spread further out and cover your backside Put on with q-tip and allow to air-dry. It is ok to nurse with this on your breasts. (Or pump)

2. Vinegar and Water solution for the pain. Can't remember the exact mix, but I just mixed about 25/75 and it did help ALOT.

3. Sleep naked. Sounds silly, but if you leak this will help your nipples stay dry versus holding the wet into them. Put a towel down on the bed to keep your bed safe

4. Try to keep your breasts as airy as possible during the day when at home. Hubby likes this as well

5. If you have to go out, wear a light bra to allow air, and wear clothing that is printed in case of a leak. Always carry an extra shirt. Do not use breast pads.

6. After a shower, use blow dryer on cool to gt your nipples dry.

7. Wash babies hands if they keep putting them in mouth. Do before each feeding.

8. Boil everything for 10 min. Including, bottles (if using) Pacifiers, pump parts, bras, anything that can pass the thrush and is able to be boiled. For the bras, toss them in the dryer when done. Do once a day at least.

Good luck!

how's it going brookesmom? are you treating thrush?
    Lisa
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

If you need to sterilise your under garments because of a thrush infection (and they won't survive being heat treated), or if you have a little one with a thrush infection in their nappy area I remember there are products out there for laundry soaking garments to kill fungal spores.

The one that I have used (for various different fungal infections) is Canesten Hygiene Laundry Rinse.
    Here's linky: ^_^
    http://www.canesten.com/products_en/...pueler_en.html

thank you all for the great information. I went to my dr.s today and he said that I do not have thrush. He said that I am just engorged and I have to express my milk more. I have red marks (looks like it is a start of a rash) around my breast and he said it was engorgement. however I will keep my eye on this and will all the information you all gave me, I should be able to detect it and treat it! Thanks so much!!!