Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF Diet?!?!

Default BF Diet?!?!

My little one has been having a lot of gas lately. I think it is gas because she kicks her little legs and her arms are going a mile a minute all while she is screaming crying. I feel like the gas is caused from me eating ice cream. Every time I eat chocolate ice cream, it seems like she has gas. could this be possible? Is there a special diet I should be following or any foods I should stay away from???

Default Re: BF Diet?!?!

Could be -- dairy is one of the common causes of digestive discomfort for breastfed babies. You can try a complete elimination diet (there's a suggestion for one on AskDrSears.com) where you eliminate everything known to be problematic (which is just about everything) and then slowly re-introduce items, or you can experiment with just eliminating what you think may be problematic. Just be sure to give it at least 4 days, preferably 1-2 weeks, to be sure. I did a complete elimination diet and am really glad I did, even though it was hard to stick to. It made a huge difference for us and I was able to pinpoint several items Lorenzo just couldn't handle.

Also, don't worry, you may not have to eliminate things for the duration of breastfeeding. As their systems mature, sometimes they are able to handle things they couldn't before, so it's an ongoing experiment...

My doctor told me that of all dairy products, ice cream is often the most reactive. You could try just cutting that out and see if it helps (tho I personally haven't been able to do so!) And chocolate is also reactive, so the combination could be bad.

My LO also suffers from bad gas, and I think I need to cut out dairy. I just don't want to! I feel guilty, but there ya have it...

Personally I have problems with dairy so I have found it easier than many to cut it down dramatically. I have started taking calcium supplement tablets so I know I am still getting that mineral in my diet.

Yesterday and all this morning I had a very flatulent, cranky and unsettlable young man. It was the first time he has ever been this bad and I have a feeling it might have been due to the food that I ate a the barbecue yesterday. I have been a little more flatulent than usual myself.

The only new things that I could pinpoint as new introductions to my regular diet were felafel and hummus so I am guessing I am going to have to cut out chickpea and possibly other dry legumes.

I'd love to know more about how mothers' diets directly affect the constitution of breastmilk. I was told by the doctors from NICU that if I cut out dairy products from my diet, then my wee man will not get any lactose through my breastmilk so I am assuming that some sugars stay in their natural state rather than being processed into breastmilk? I will need to do more research.

I'm not sure how available this kind of stuff is where you two are at, but they do make some pretty delicious rice, soy and almond products these days. I drink/use almond milk instead of cows milk -- it comes sweetened or unsweetened, and the sweetened stuff tastes to me like a thin milk shake. For awhile, my little guy couldn't tolerate soy well either, so I discovered this rice based faux ice cream -- it's not as rich and creamy, but with a little fruit (or chocolate if they can tolerate it) it's very yummy. If you're interested, but can't find those kinds of products where you're at, let me know and I'll see if they have websites where they could be ordered. Good luck!

Smile Re: BF Diet?!?!

This is a bit of a unknown subject to me, cause when I was at parenting craft classes, my midwife announced to everyone "You don't have to drink milk or have 'dairy' to make breast-milk", and advised us to have a normal diet that's higher in protein than normal.

I don't exactly know the in's and out's about breastfeeding diets, but my husband gave my bl**dy kippers every morning for breakfast, while I was recovering from my c-section! My baby put on over a 1lb within on the 4th week after a slow weight start. I don't know if it's the 'kippers', but what I do know is that I can't face another 'kipper'!

Sorry can't be much help. There's calcium in other things such as broccoli, Soya milk and tinned salmon, tinned sardines (especially the soft bones!) and fresh oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post

I'd love to know more about how mothers' diets directly affect the constitution of breastmilk. I was told by the doctors from NICU that if I cut out dairy products from my diet, then my wee man will not get any lactose through my breastmilk so I am assuming that some sugars stay in their natural state rather than being processed into breastmilk? I will need to do more research.
    I hope you misunderstood what your doctors were saying, because your body produces lactose. Here is a link:

http://www.kidsnutrition.org/consumer/nyc/volsu-99.htm

Awesome! I thought so (and I wondered if he was retarded or something). Thanks for the link.

It's totally possible. I would stay away from sugar and see if that helps. Definitely DON'T do soy. It is very allergenic and can hurt your milk supply.

Weird, my LO really reacted badly to cholocolate ice cream too! Not any other king though, Just choc ice cream and caffeine. Within a few months it got better though.