Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to get a latch every feeding & avoid the bottle

Default How to get a latch every feeding & avoid the bottle

My baby is one week today. She will latch on for 50% of the feedings and then not the others, which are mostly in the evening or at night. How can I get her to latch and feed from the breast full time? I have to supplement with breast milk in a bottle; my pediatrician wants her to gain a certain amount of weight by Monday. She was born 8lbs 14oz and was
    8lbs3oz on Tuesday of last week. Our goal is to get her to 8ilbs 8oz by Monday. I am also afraid she'll prefer the bottle to my breast. Help!

Default Re: How to get a latch every feeding & avoid the bottle

Congratulations on the birth of your baby! One way to woo a new baby to the breast is to keep your baby skin to skin, on your chest, as much as possible. Strip your baby down to a diaper and go topless yourself, so the baby will have easy access to your breast. When a baby is cozy and comfortable with your naked breast nearby, they can get to your breast as soon as they need to. If it's cold where you live, you can put a blanket on both of you, or wear a sweater that opens in the front (I did this when I kept my DD skin to skin after her birth, and it worked well to keep my arms warm). Giving your baby lots of opportunities to learn to latch on will help her learn... just like everything else, the more you practice, the more quickly you will both learn.

There are also other ways to feed a baby without using a bottle, are you familiar with them? (Cup feeding, finger feeding, using an eye dropper)

Congratulations on your little one.

Are you feeding your baby in the same lighting during night time feeds? If your baby is sleepier at night, she may wake up more if you change her first? Just a thought. Keep up the good work!

With mine it helped if I didn't offer the bottle. When I stopped using the bottle he started latching more consistantly. Also, skin to skin like pp said is important.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

I agree with RME. Babies are very often fussy at night and it seems like nothing will please them! Take the bottles out of the equation, keep baby close & nurse, nurse, nurse!

By the way, the standard for newborn weight gain is to regain their birth weight by 2 weeks of age. Your LO is doing just great!! You don't need extra things to worry about!