Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is baby ready for baby food?

Default Is baby ready for baby food?

So dd is exclusively breastfed. She is just over 4 months. With dd #1 she was breastfed only up until about 9 months. I was hoping to only breast feed dd#2 as long as possible but lately she seems starved! I nurse her then 30 minutes later she is hungry again. At our 2 month ped appt he said at 4 months we could start cereal but I didn't really think anything of it. Does she need cereal this soon? I didn't think so....but am I wrong?

Default Re: Is baby ready for baby food?

I wouldn't think so either. Seems very young for solids. Probably just getting ready for a growth spurt or fighting off the late autumn germs. Give it a week or two.

Is she hungry or just wanting to nurse? Sometimes they suck for other reasons. Your breasts are multi-talented. But even if she's chugging away, many babies go through phases where they want to nurse every half hour. My guess is that she's building your supply for the future.

My boy just turned 5 months---today, actually.
    His 4 month growth spurt was HUGE. It started about two weeks before his 4 month "birthday" and didn't end for three weeks. During that time he was fussy, not sleepy and super hungry---eating at least every hour, if only a snack.
    I remember wanting to feed him more and thinking it was necessary to feed him more than just breastmillk. Fortunately, I held out and just made sure I was feeding on demand. Even though he was showing various signs of "prepping" for solids, I don't think he was really ready.
    He was simply prepping.

How is your los weight?
    I would say as long his your los weight + diaper output looks great, don't worry.

Good luck during this 'spurt.' It doesn't last forever, I promise.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

Her weight is excellent, about 16 pounds. She seems to want to nurse for a snack not really a full meal. Just like constant snacks, lol!! I am going to hold off and see how she acts. I just kept thinking she was too young for anything else, and the bm is so good for her I hate to offer her anything more!

My son wanted more at 4.5 months and I really struggled with the whole cereal debate. Long story short we gave it to him and it helped alot. We also started him on baby food - which was a bit of a roller coaster. He got kinda pukey and we had to cut them out for a week or so. I didnt really stick to any plan for starting solids - which I now realize was unwise. I would suggest reseaching how to introduce foods other than bm, make a plan and go with it. Overall Luke was much more content when we gave him food. I was also really concerned about his nursing habits changing but he still nursed as much as before (still does now at 8 mos). Good luck with whatever you decide.

She doesn't need anything other than your milk until she is 9-12 months old. Nurse as much as possible so that your body will adjust the demands of your growing baby and make more milk. Starting solids before 6 months puts the baby at risk for food allergies and stuff so I (and AAP) suggest that you wait until then for solids.