Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Has anyone used sage tea/sage to help weaning process in an over 2 yr old nursling?

Default Has anyone used sage tea/sage to help weaning process in an over 2 yr old nursling?

The question asks it all. I am seriously needing to get this weaning done by fall........no rush but it needs to be done. I am not enjoying nursing anymore....feeling stuck....my "baby" is a healthy attached secure 27 month old toddler who is nursing some days more than a newborn. I know all about BF and the whys and hows (see sig line) I simply want to hear from mamas who have assisted weaning with the use of sage/sage products and how it happened, how did toddler handle it etc.........

My fear is lowering the supply and having her flip out. As is she tells me how "that booby is done no more milk I want the other booby now" all the time.

Thanks. You can email me as I am not a regular here.april@breastfeedingmatters.com

Default Re: Has anyone used sage tea/sage to help weaning process in an over 2 yr old nursling?

I have heard of using sage to assist with involution (milk ducts shrinking) after weaning or assisting with the taming of an over production issue (under the guidance of a qualified professional, of course), but I have never heard of using this method for weaning. Interesting. I will certainly do more research.

Have you read the old standards How Weaning Happens and Mothering Your Nursing Toddler?

Default Re: Has anyone used sage tea/sage to help weaning process in an over 2 yr old nursling?

I hadn't heard of it either until someone mentioned it who was with local LLL so hence my posting it. I thought I had heard it all. And yes I have read and re read the standards...LLL is great but not alot of it works for us here personally other than to wait her out and remain somewhat unhappy nursing her. C'est La Vie I suppose.

Yes, I drank sage tea for a week; three times a day while I was on a week's sabbatical. (I found the tea pretty astringent tasting). I took this week away from my child in order to promote weaning and to get some sleep and some long periods of solitude. DD was almost 3 and we had been doing "don't offer, don't refuse" for 1 year with no movement. Frequency still was 1-2 times per day. I needed to stop weaning for physical reasons (adrenal fatigue). I don't know how the tea affected milk supply totally as I was also without breast stimulation for a week.

This effort at weaning didn't work for me as I wasn't emotionally ready--my daughter was so heartbroken when I returned and 2 days later refused to offer the breast when asked (I told her I was out of milk...though it took her 2 days to remember to ask. First time she asked was in the middle of the night. She cried herself to sleep when I told her no. But it was later when she wanted to nurse badly and said "but I forgot how to nurse" and sobbed that I realized I couldn't end things this way,).

I wasn't sure how the sage tea worked BUT we resumed nursing she said "you are running out of boo." Our frequency then went down to 2-3 times per week. I also got a lot of the comments that "this boobie is out; I want the other one." I always solved that with a limit on switching (she got 2 times out of each boob. Then I said "last time boo", meaning you can't switch but you can drain the one you're on). She seemed always to respect that.

I really worked through my feelings, and even though I enjoyed the closeness, I felt I needed to take this next step to regain some lost energy and get my body out of the lactating state (I'm not sure it mentally agrees with me).

Anyway, I thought I'd give my smart little daughter some credit, so I told her the "story of boo", how I didn't make it before pregnancy, how my breasts grew during pregnancy, and how when she was little, all she ate and drank was boo. And that as she got older and grew up she ate more foods and less boo. And now that she was getting big, she could eat just food if she wanted to. She is very into being a big girl so this was motivating. I didn't want her to feel like she was a burden. I did let her know that I was not well and that I might not be able to make boo anymore if I was going to get better. She seemed to understand this.

We weaned when her grandmother came (they love each other's company). I said "you can have boo until Nan and Pap get here" and let her nurse on demand. Still it was about 3 times per week, except the last day (binge nursing!). Then when grandparents got here, no more nursing. DD asked Nana to make boo for her but Nana told her "I'm out... I gave it all to your mom and your uncle...just like your Mommy gave you all her boo, too." After that, she seemed to understand it. She's asked maybe one more time and I told her, "I'm out of boo and I gave all I had to you."

Now it's been a month w/o nursing. I've had no pain, leakage, nothing other than general irritability (must be missing my oxytocin hit). I may try the sage tea again as I have noticed no change in breast size (I was a D/DD before pregnancy and have consistently been a G/H cup while nursing). I hope the sage tea will nudge my body to shed the 5-10 lbs of weight I have retained as a nursing mom.

Best of luck to you. I understand the feeling of needing to be done. I breastfed longer than my goal (2 years) and I have to say it was always emotionally overwhelming for me but I just stuck in there because I wanted it to end well.

You've done a great job. No reason to feel bad; only proud.

Take care,

Lori

P.S. I also tried decongestants (pseudoephedrine, 15-30 mg daily) but they were too agitating for me (they probably work well for late-stage nursers. Tom Hale says they can cause a reduction in milk supply in late-stage nursing moms and are to be avoided). I just kept to the sage tea--no noticeable side effects. Hope it works for you.

Thank you Jillian that was very inspiring to me. I am re-evaluating it all as I do often and am ok. I have a plan, and in the meantime intend to continue the counting to 3 to end tiring or unwanted sessions.....not enforce naps unless truly needed.....continue with every distraction and just tell my dd it will soon be time to end nursing. I find the weight factor (hanging onto at least 30 that won't budge) and mental drain is the worst so............ I am trying to just focus.

I have a sage plant in the back yard so of course I've tried it a few times out of curiosity. I've seen no reaction from dd. Decreased stimulation HAS gotten reactions though... I've had days where I had the time and energy to keep her busy all day and not nurse.. and other days where I'd be away longer than usual. If after these days she decides to "binge nurse," she'll stop (finally) and tell me to make more milk. I'll tell her that I'll need a long break and a glass of water to make more, so this can encourage her to lay off them for a while... though since she emptied them, I figure she's already brought things back to "normal." That's why sage wouldn't work anyway - the demand would couteract it. Even getting back on estrogen birth control wouldn't help me at this point according to my OB. (not that I'm that despirate to wean, just quite ready when she is.)

Finally I went away for a women's weekend while dd stayed with daddy. THAT would have been a great time for sage. I figured I'd just hand express when needed... oh I wish I'd brought a pump, as I was quite sore by the time I got home. I WANTED her to nurse so badly once we reunited, but I didn't offer... it only took about ten minutes for her to ask and it didn't seem like she drank much at all. I ended up asking her to nurse the other side too, but she didn't want to. Night time took care of that. She was right back into the swing of things once they were emptied and reset again.

Anyway, I know that if I want her to wean now, it comes down to my own consistancy... I've only blocked out a few times that she can't nurse and she's done well with them. But each time I give her any kind of limit when it comes to nursing, there are two rough weeks before she accepts it. Total weaning would suck (ha- accidental pun).

So I asked her when she would be ready to wean (I have explained weaning to her) and she put her hands over her head and said "This big." Hmmm ya think if I nursed her more she'd get taller faster?