Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are the BFing MUST HAVES?

Default Re: What are the BFing MUST HAVES?

and a sense of humor! After being squirted in the face, soaking through my shirt, answering the door with my boob hanging out of my tank top... the list goes on and on, I am glad that I have a sense of humor!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Really I found that I didn't (and still don't) need anything except my breasts and nursing bras. I have a nursing pillow but its not all that useful, and I have some breast pads and found that they didn't really help me, nor did I need them after the first few weeks. But then again, I don't really leak much. Some women do. I also found nipple cream a waste of my money. But some women find it useful. Also, I have never had a breast pump, but I don't give bottles of breast milk or leave my baby with anyone. When I have wanted some breast milk expressed for other reasons, I hand express- it wasn't very hard to learn. I think the must haves then are, in my opinion, then:

-breasts
    -good supportive friends and LLL leaders phone #'s
    -a good (make sure its got good info) informative breastfeeding answer book, like LLL's.
    -other good supportive breastfeeding-friendly reading material, like the New Beginnings magazine
    -nursing bras
    -maybe nursing pads to go in your bra
    -lots of receiving blankets to catch spit-up and wayward spraying

Rent or buy a bunch of your favorite movies, or get some good books or magazine subscriptions--then park yourself! Newborns nurse often, and you'll be doing little else for the first weeks. It's hard to resist the urge to tidy, or do too much, or run too many errands. But you must "bum around" to build that supply! You might want a pretty comfy robe that you can wear to greet well-wishers.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJamaLama
    Rent or buy a bunch of your favorite movies, or get some good books or magazine subscriptions--then park yourself! Newborns nurse often, and you'll be doing little else for the first weeks. It's hard to resist the urge to tidy, or do too much, or run too many errands. But you must "bum around" to build that supply! You might want a pretty comfy robe that you can wear to greet well-wishers.
    Well here is where I am nervous! LOL I have another daughter who will be 25 months when this baby is born! She is very active too! So I am a little worried!

I'm concerned about this, too. I have a 4-year-old, a 2 1/2-year-old, and am scheduled for my c-section this Thursday. When my 2nd was born, my 1st was only 17 months. Breastfeeding seemed too overwhelming & I wimped out. Hopefully I'll be calmer this time, and delegate more work to my hubby, parents, etc.

Individual differences, but this is what worked best for me:
    Boppy--dd and I were glued to it during the early weeks and beyond
    comfy chair/rocker
    Water and easy nutritious snacks
    The Womanly Art of BF book
    Pure lanolin cream
    Motherhood nursing bras and tops, including sleep bras
    Adult support (accept whatever is offered)
    Sleep--it is true/try to sleep when baby does, forget about house pretty etc. Once she's a toddler, it'll be a mess most of the time anyway
    Easy change cotton baby sleepers (forget all the snaps/buttons esp when you're home--look for zipper/elastic closure nightgowns for quick and easy changes because baby is constantly going)
    If you choose disposables, the Diaper Genie is a godsend

Back to work
    double sided electric pump with battery back up
    Someone you really trust to care for your beloved child

I have one child but with a 2nd child coming and a toddler, I know our visits to Moms so my dd can play with the older child and I can visit/help Mom or hold baby if she wants have been very welcomed.

Absolutely nothing other than your breasts and the baby. Women all over the world have bf for thousands of years without anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarmen
    the name and number of your local La Leche League leader
    This was what I was going to say! Glad I read all the posts!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids