Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More in one than the other

Default More in one than the other

Since I've been back to work I pump my milk with the Pump in style, which is a double electric pump. Am I weird or what? I pump about 4 to 5 ounces from the left breast, but only 1 to 2 ounces from the right. I noticed that my daughter would feed frequently after feeding from the right than the left. I switched off like you're told to do. The milk that I express daily is enough to feed her demands Monday thru Friday at this point. She feeds at the breast all weekend. I would personally like them to produce the same qunatity. Is there a way to get this to happen? Please help.

Default Re: More in one than the other

I have a 10 month old and also use a Pump in Style. I have always had twice as much in my R breast as my L. Nothing I do makes a difference, but I still am able to meet my babie's needs. I think it's relatively common.

I'm in the same boat. I get about twice as much from my right breast than from my left. I find that it evens out some if most of the time, I start feeding her on the left, then switch to the right when she's done with the first side.

I have heard that almost everyone has more milk in one side than the other, and that it is nothing at all to worry about.

Yep, as most PP's have said, most women have one breast that will produce more than the other one. It's very normal and nothing to be concerned about You may be able to increase the production of the lesser-producing side to an extent (ie through more frequent nursing and pumping of that side), but some of it is due to pure anatomy.

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!