Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long to block feed?

Default how long to block feed?

My LO has been displaying symptoms that maybe I have oal. Last night I started block feeding (any feeding within a 4 hour period I used the same breast). He wasn't fussy last night when I fed him for the first time in awhile. How long should I continue this before going back to my normal routine? What symptoms should I look for to know that my supply issue is correcting itself? Normally I would feed on one breast for each feeding and switch to the other breast for the next feeding. Thanks.

Default Re: how long to block feed?

I blockfed the entire time I nursed my first--20 months.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

So bb is eating every 2 hours?
    Not pumping right?
    Last edited by carpentergirl; November 24th, 2007 at 10:26 AM.

Yes, about every 2 hours sometimes a little longer. So it works out that I feed from the same breast twice before switching. I was pumping, but thought that was causing part of the problem so I stopped recently. That brings up a good question though. I will need to pump on occassion. How do I go about it without increasing my milk supply?

To answer your question about pumping without increasing your milk supply...I guess there would be a few more questions I would have... Are you wanting to pump to have some milk on hand for once in awhile? Does your baby wake at night for feeding? If you are looking to just have some milk on hand for every once in awhile, I would pump after your last feeding at night (as long as your baby isn't night waking to eat)...but I wouldn't do this very often, as you may end up engorged in the morning if you say were to do this every night for a week or 2 straight. If you don't need to have milk on hand, I wouldn't advise pumping. If you are ever looking to be away from your baby say for a few hours one day, you could always pump that day before you go, or the day before in preparation for that time away. Pumping, although not as effective as breastfeeding, does cue your body into thinking it needs to make more milk (since some is being taken away), so it will affect the rhythm you have going right now.

I just asked a lactation consultant this the other day. She said for occasional feeds to feed on one breast and then pump on the other. I have OAL, too. At your next feeding after pumping, just feed on the last breast you fed baby on before pumping.

I also do block feeds and feed twice per breast before switching. Nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem.