Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tounge tied/ One breast

Default Tounge tied/ One breast

I was needing some advice. I unfortunatly have only one breast for feeding. On top of this problem my baby was tounge tied and seems to be having some problems using her tounge efficiently even after it was clipped. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to increase my supply so I can exclusively breast feed. I know I may have to supplement, in which case I was wondering how much formula I should supplement. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Tounge tied/ One breast

My DS had tongue tie too. We had it clipped when he was 10 weeks. In order to build a supply I pumped after every feeding with a hospital grade pump. I ended up trying fenugreek, reglan and then domperidone because my supply was so low.

I don't know when your LO had the repair, but it took my DS a few weeks to really get the hang of using his tongue correctly.

We also supplemented with formula. We would feed until my LO seemed satisfied. The amount changed depending on my supply and his age. HTH!
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

I almost forgot.....
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

DS was also tongue tied and after it was clipped, we stuck our tongue out at him a lot to help him get the hang of what he could now do with it. His was clipped at 9 weeks and it took 2-3 weeks before I noticed much difference.

My DS had a tongue tie also, and his was clipped at 4 days old. It took him a few days to figure out how to use his tongue again but i kept patient and vigalant on the breast feeding issue, I was NOT giving up! After he was done eating, I would pump for 15 minutes even if I didn't get anything from the pump the suckling tells your brain that you need more milk. Also what I did was let him nurse whenever he wanted to and for as long as he wanted to, I felt like a couch potato for the first 2 months of his life but he was thriving so I was happy to let him do what he wanted. The more the baby nurses the more milk you will have. When I did have a low supply issue, I ate oatmeal. It is supposed to increase your milk supply. HTH. It will only get better from here

I haven't had experience with tongue-tied, and I am blessed with two breasts that can both produce milk, so I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you--kudos to you for being so dedicated!

I did want to say that I believe you can definitely get enough milk from one breast for your child, assuming there aren't other medical issues, of course. I have always only fed my babies on one side at a time, and now I'm nursing 2 children successfully. I've known other women that exclusively breastfed twins--so hopefully that will be encouragement for you.

To build my supply early on, I also pumped after every feeding with a hospital pump. VERY tedious, but it worked. I never did fenugreek, but I do drink Tradicinal Medicinal's Mother's Milk Tea whenever I need to boost my supply and I swear by it! You can often find it at the grocery store, tho not always. They also have it at some drug stores or health stores. Usually you can find it with a little effort at a local store, or else order it online. Oatmeal is also good, if you can eat it.

And, of course, nurse as much as you and your LO possibly want/can. Even comfort nursing will up your supply.

Good luck to you!