Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I use a faster flow?

Question Need help getting DD on a bottle...

Hey,
    I finally got my OS prob solved, and I think DD is pretty used to the OALD. She is 8 1/2 weeks old. We've been trying to get her on a bottle (unsuccessfully) for the past 2 weeks. I have tried 4 different nipples (1st choice, Playtex, Avent, and Dr. Brown's) in silicone and latex. She seems to prefer the latex. All the nipples we tried are slow flow. So, I have three questions:

1) Should we try a faster flow nipple to be a closer match to the fast flow from my breasts?

2) I have pretty flat nipples. The baby has pulled them out some through feeding, but they are still short. The bottle nipples are really long. Should we try a shorter nipple? Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
    Last edited by aisha1978; November 23rd, 2007 at 07:45 PM.

Default Re: Need help getting DD on a bottle...

Hi Aisha!

1) Do you think it is the flow? What happens when your baby takes the bottle nipple? Does she refuse altogether? Have trouble getting milk out? Or does she not seem to know what to do with it?

2) You could try one of the Platex natural latch-type nipples. They have a wide base and a shorter nipple. Just be sure you get baby to open WIDE like she would for your breast.

Here's some info about baby refusing bottles:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

HTH!

Default Re: Should I use a faster flow?

Hi! I'm curious about the need to switch over to a bottle. Some babies just want mama when you are around. Are you going back to work?

Default Re: Should I use a faster flow?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Hi! I'm curious about the need to switch over to a bottle. Some babies just want mama when you are around. Are you going back to work?
    OMG, there are so many reasons to switch to a bottle now and then. Here are some things that I'd like to be able to do, but can't do (or it's difficult to do) because I can't leave the house for more than 2 hours:

1. Go back to work (I can't even interview).
    2. Go to the gym.
    3. Go out with my husband or visit with some of our friends who don't have babies.
    4. Go get my hair and nails done.
    5. Have some time alone to shop.
    6. Run errands.
    7. Go to a girl's night.

That's just a few of the reasons.

Default Re: Need help getting DD on a bottle...

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    Hi Aisha!

1) Do you think it is the flow? What happens when your baby takes the bottle nipple? Does she refuse altogether? Have trouble getting milk out? Or does she not seem to know what to do with it?

2) You could try one of the Platex natural latch-type nipples. They have a wide base and a shorter nipple. Just be sure you get baby to open WIDE like she would for your breast.

Here's some info about baby refusing bottles:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

HTH!
    I don't know if it's the flow. If I catch her in a good mood, like if she's not really hungry at all, she'll suck on the bottle a little bit. Then, she'll spit it out. If she's hungry, she won't even take the nipple. She will cry and scream and refuse to suck or even acknowledge the nipple. Honestly, I don't think she cares about the flow. Also, I think she knows how to suck on the nipple. When she was in a really good mood, I put just the nipple in her mouth and she sucked on it for a little bit before spitting it out. She doesn't like paci's either, so maybe she just doesn't like artificial nipples.

We tried the Playtex natural latch and orthodontic. Also tried NUK orthodontic, Gerber, Dr. Brown's, 1st Start, and Evenflo. Tried silicone and latex. We tried each of them for 3-4 days before switching. She hated all of them.

Thanks for the links!