Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not taking bottle at daycare--need advice.

Default Baby not taking bottle at daycare--need advice.

My 9 month old daughter has been going to daycare since she was 12 weeks old, and just recently has pretty much stopped taking her bottle there. She has recently started eating some solids, so she eats a few cherrios and graham cracker squares at day care. Would that be enough to spoil her appetite for the bottles? Should I tell them to cut back on the solids at day care--or am I just being silly because I feel sad that she's less dependant on BM?
    Even at home lately, she'll start to nurse and just bite me a little bit and then pull off. I'm pretty sure that some of it has to do with her teething and she's definitely a pleasantly plump baby who's always maintained a very healthy weight. I guess I'm just worried that she's going to decide that she doesn't want to nurse or drink my ebm anymore...
    If anyone has any advice or tips, I'd be really grateful...

Default Re: Baby not taking bottle at daycare--need advice.

Teething might be the reason or she's just to busy playing around, try feeding her in a quite place. Have you try a sippy cup?

Thanks for the quick response Mami_Kathy! I have offerend her a sippy cup and she just sort of plays with it and hits it on things, so I don't think she's really ready to drink from it yet.
    I'm definitely going to try to create a low key environment for her to nurse in so she won't be so distracted by other things... She wouldn't let herself go hungry, would she? I would think she would nurse if she was really hungry instead of biting me, right?
    Sorry about all the questions! It seems like everytime I assure myself that everything is good and normal, another thing to worry about comes up... and then I stress over that...

She wouldn't let herself go hungry, would she? I would think she would nurse if she was really hungry instead of biting me, right?
    I seriously doubt she would do so.

It seems like everytime I assure myself that everything is good and normal, another thing to worry about comes up...
    That's what mothers do.

Good luck! Keep us post.

At nine months, her primary nutrition should still be your breastmilk. She needs this for the full range of nutrients, and the water itself, to stay hydrated.

Is she only eating cheerios and graham crackers? That shouldn't spoil her appetite. However, if she's eating lots of other solids, she could be filling up on those, and not taking enough breastmilk.

Some possibilities for making sure she gets enough to drink: offer the bottle before solids, not after. Replace bottle nipples, just in case they're getting sticky or the flow is too fast for her, offer milk in a big-kid cup (no lid) with help to drink it, mix breast milk into her solids, offer breast milk ice cubes.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I'd like to thank everyone who gave me advice on this.
    It turns out that Autumn was develping an ear infection and that's why she didn't want her bottle at day care. She's starting to feel better now, but still doesn't really want to take a bottle, so she just nurses extra at home.
    It also looks like she's got a couple more teeth ready to break through, so I'm sure that wasn't helping...
    The good news is that she definitely wasn't trying to wean herself or anything...she was just uncomfortable. But it's getting better now.
    Thanks again everyone!

I'm so glad you figured it out!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!