Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wheat

Default wheat

wheat. When should I introduce it? Im confused. It's potentially allergenic, so shouldn't I wait until a year? Lots of people seem to give it far earlier. Lots of people. Most? I just want to do what's best. It'd be very easy to be able to give her a nice sandwhich, or a bread stick.

She's 8 months today.

TM

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: wheat

I'm in the UK too and have been told it's ok from 6 months. DS is one day older than your DD and he's been having wheat for about 1.5 months. Just go easy on it to start and don't give every day.

DS is 9 months and has been having wheat for about a month. We have no allergies on either family. We had his 9 month check-up this morning, and the pedi said he could have everything now except fish, nuts, and honey-the obvious forbidden foods.

I think it would be okay to give it. If DC has a reaction, then you may want to hold off.

Here is some information I found...
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/wheatforbaby.htm

I see you are from the Uk...we will be in England over Christmas for 2 weeks, because my DH's family lives there (he's from England). We can't wait to go back!

Thank you, ladies. Perhaps I'm being too careful. Maybe she'd just love a nice, tasty sandwhich..... mmm.... just to decide what to put into a sandwhich for an eight-month old. No added sugar- no jam; no added salt- no Marmite, no peanuts- no peanut butter; no teeth- no tough meat!!

Seriuosly though, I'm meant to be doing BLW, which is kind of chilled and laid-back. Maybe I should just relax and go with the flow a bit. After all, there is only one proper food allergy in our family (fish), so maybe I should just keep that one out.

And Mrs. D- do enjoy Christmas in England. I'm biased, but I think it's a good place to be for the festive season.

We gave DS a piece of dry wheat toast this weekend (he's 6 MO) and he absolutely loved it. He sucked on the ends and ate it up- it's so far been the best solid food he's handled. It was kind'a a whim because he was freaking out at breakfast but turned out well.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thank you, I will enjoy it! I spent a month over Christmas in England 2 years ago. Actually at the time my DH (then fiance) was living in Jersey, one of the Channel Islands, which I'm sure you've heard of.

One thing my DS loves on his toast is fruit puree. I thaw out and heat a cube of apple, pear, or whatever fruit I have, and spread it on the toast. It also makes it a little mushy. You could also spread apple sauce or pear sauce on the toast too!

Ooh, Jersey! How lovely- like England, but nicer weather!

What's the difference between "applesauce" and apple puree? I've seen "applesauce" or "Apple sauce" in American publications, websites and so on, and kind of assumed it was the same as cooked, pureed or mashed (or just broken up) apple. Is it just the same? I know if I was making an apple sauce, to go with some pork perhaps, I'd just cook down some apples in a tiny amount of water, and break them up a bit as they cook until quite mushy. And if I was preparing some apple mush for the baby, I would make it in exactly the same way.