Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I get my son to sleep instead of BF

Default How do I get my son to sleep instead of BF

Hi there:

Bed time in our house consists of me Breast feeding until he falls asleep on my bed, then he goes in his own room.

How do I get him to feed but go in his own room without being asleep, if I try this he screams uncontrollably! I have tried leaving him for 10 mins but he just gets more and more upset. So I give in and breastfeed until he falls asleep.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: How do I get my son to sleep instead of BF

Lots of moms are full of suggestions around here - to be sure , but some of us are doing this and have been since day one. Some families are fine with it, but it does seem as if you're not as comfortable with it...

I do have a question though... How old is your babe?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi there, he's 15 months old. I don't really mind it, it's just difficult if I have to go out, but maybe I should just follow his lead and continue. I don't want to cause any distress to him and it really isn't such a big deal to me, but it would be nice for my DH to have some involvement in bed times.

Helen

I tried offering other alternatives like lying in bed with him, patting/scratching his back, but this might create other problems for you!
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

I tried everything to get my son to sleep up until he was 12 months old and my sister suggested I just nurse him to sleep! I started to and he fell right to sleep.
    Wish I knew that earlier! I think that nursing him to sleep is one of the last ones to go..it is the one that they are most attached to. If he isn't cosleeping, then it is his comfort before he is separted for many hours. Is this the only time he nurses? Do you have a routine that you do each night?
    A routine (read brush teeth, put on pjs, read books in bed, nurse) helps to wean to sleep. After establishing a routine with books, then nurse before reading...it may be hard b/c he is used to falling asleep on you.. but...if he knows he can have it, at least it is easier on you to get the sleep/nurse association separated...then, after a few weeks, discuss that you are going to not have nursing to sleep...it is something that is good to learn.(be really positive. I think they understand you even at this age. )

As long as you are gentle and not completely stopping it all at once. It will be easier for him and you. You may also try timing it ten minutes then nine, etc...until down to two minutes. One minute per week. Slower weaning is gentler and seems to help emotionally.

(sorry about the grammar! I am not sure how to edit this once I hit preview yet!)

At around 14 months, I wanted my son to be able to fall asleep without nursing too, since the times that it happened by chance, he seemed to sleep longer and more soundly. First we worked on getting his bedtime consistent and I'd nurse him to sleep in his room. Then I started nursing him (at the normal time) but in a different room (in the living room with lights on and activity going on). Sometimes he'd finish nursing and still be awake, other times he'd be getting drowsy when nursing. Then my husband would take him into his room and rock him and read stories until he fell asleep. He protested for a few days, but really not too bad at all. The most amazing thing is my son started sleeping through the night (for the first time!!) within a week of us doing this. So now he'll sleep from around 8 pm until at least 4, sometimes 5 or 6! Yay! Of course, it's quite possible he would've started sleeping better anyway - either way, I'm very happy with our current routine, and this way Dad is involved and has special time too.

Quote Originally Posted by helens View Post
    Hi there, he's 15 months old. I don't really mind it, it's just difficult if I have to go out, but maybe I should just follow his lead and continue. I don't want to cause any distress to him and it really isn't such a big deal to me, but it would be nice for my DH to have some involvement in bed times.

Helen
    As time goes on, you might find he gets there on his own. Nursing to sleep can be a pretty magical thing; sweet and very handy, too. Admittedly it's not always convenient, but as they get older it doesn't always "work" and it will be time to try something new anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ishymama View Post
    As time goes on, you might find he gets there on his own. Nursing to sleep can be a pretty magical thing; sweet and very handy, too. Admittedly it's not always convenient, but as they get older it doesn't always "work" and it will be time to try something new anyway.

sorry I haven't anything better to offer (I know some moms do though)- but we're at 17 mo and still doing it... 99.99% of the time.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My son's 15mth and I always nurse him to sleep if I'm here - night time and naps. We've tried a lot of other ways, but it's the only thing that works if he knows I'm in the house. Funny thing is I work 3 mornings a week and he goes to sleep for my husband and mother-in-law noooooo problem! But if I'm here (and as soon as I come home) he's just desperate for mommy milk and nothing else will do! I'm told my DH takes him for a walk to help him get to sleep and LO actually 'asked' his grandma to take him out in his stroller last week when he was tired!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

I have the same problem with my nearly 3 year old! I'll be checking this for any advice. *Sigh*