Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing and meds

Default nursing and meds

My dr just prescribed valium for me due to severe headaches caused by tmj. I read thought that it is not safe in lactation. Is that true? should I try to get something else. I am in so much pain and just want to feel better.

Default Re: nursing and meds

Hi liongrrrl,
    How old is your little one?
    Mary

My only guess is that if you have told your doctor you're breastfeeding then it must be safe.

You could give your doc a ring to talk it over to assure your mind.

Vallium is a brand name for diazepam.
    I've just had a look in "Drug Therapy and Breastfeeding" by Hale. On page 59 he writes "Diazepam, lorazepam, nitrazepam, midazolam and oxazepam have all been studied in breastfeeding mothers. The amounts transferred into human milk are low, and intermittent single doses do not pose an overt hazard to the breastfed infant. However, when used chronically, diazepam, lorazepam and clonazepam may occasionally accumulate and cause sedation in the breastfed infant".
    On p61, referring to diazepam "Some sedation has been reported, but minimal. Acute or occasional use acceptable. Observe for sedation. Depending on dose, avoid prolonged exposure."

So I guess it depends on the dose and how long you are likely to be taking it. If you are worried, it's always a good idea to go back to the doctor for further advice. The motherisk organisation is very good on information on this type of topic - it might be worth getting in touch with them. http://motherisk.org/index.jsp

I hope you feel better soon.

The PP have given great info and I just wanted to add one more site for you to have as a reference. It is Toxnet by NIH (National Institutes of Health).
    Wehn you go to it there is a list of databases on the left. You can search all of clock on "LactMed" to focus in on the breastfeeding resources. They have a lot of good info but keep in mind only your doc can really help with this one. IMO I have found it is good to bring all the information and resources I have when I go talk to my doc so we can weigh the pros and cons and do what is best for my LO and I.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/

I do not know if it works for TMJ but I grind my teeth and I have had to wear a retainer from time to time when my LO is asleep.

Good luck and I hope you get better.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

i just wanted to let you know that my dr prescribed it to me (as diazepam and he knew i was nursing) from 3 weeks pp until 5/6 mos...i took 2-4 mg a day to help with insomnia asscociated with postpartum depression. i never observed any sedation in my dd and we didn't have any side effects.