Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big baby getting hungry-is it ok to give formula only for first 3 days?

Default Re: Big baby getting hungry-is it ok to give formula only for first 3 days?

I agree with pp, the best way to get that milk to come in is to nurse nurse nurse. Colostrum is excellent for the baby, and if they needed milk in the first day of life, our bodies would work that way. That's how I look at it. My lo was born on Tuesday and my milk came in on Thursday. We didn't give formula because I never considered it an option, I don't think it should be one (unless its an unusual circumstance). Congratulations on being a new auntie!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Default Re: Big baby getting hungry-is it ok to give formula only for first 3 days?

sorry for my late reply, comp broke

Anyways hes not urinating enough and now they even found blood which doctors concluded as too much pus in urine after test. They have started formula and she is still not obviously producing enough which I now account for that formula milk! They are still at the hospital cos of the blood in urine of baby. otherwise she can go home!

he's grown into a small baby now

docs are saying exactly like MrsD but i read that chances of baby gaining as much an exclusively breastfed baby without any other intake is low once we give anything other than breast milk!

I just so hope that the baby refuses formula milk so my sister will be forced to exclusively breastfeed! she supports breastfeeding, but baby losing weight would make every mother consider other options so I pray that he would make his mom produce more by suckling all the time refusing formula!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Juju View Post
    sorry for my late reply, comp broke

Anyways hes not urinating enough and now they even found blood which doctors concluded as too much pus in urine after test. They have started formula and she is still not obviously producing enough which I now account for that formula milk! They are still at the hospital cos of the blood in urine of baby. otherwise she can go home!

he's grown into a small baby now

docs are saying exactly like MrsD but i read that chances of baby gaining as much an exclusively breastfed baby without any other intake is low once we give anything other than breast milk!

I just so hope that the baby refuses formula milk so my sister will be forced to exclusively breastfeed! she supports breastfeeding, but baby losing weight would make every mother consider other options so I pray that he would make his mom produce more by suckling all the time refusing formula!

Thanks again.
    Our LO was born 17 days ago. She spent the first 8 days in the NICU and was fed almost exclusively from a bottle and mostly formula as my wife wasnt able to pump enough for a meal. at 17 days most meals are BF with a bit of formula suppplement once or twice a day.

I was quite sick after my C-section and my boy got dehydrated (and he was jaundiced too which didn't help matters). I had half the midwives I was dealing with telling me that I should be breastfeeding him and that he would be fine with what little colostrum we could hand express through the swelling I had (even though my milk hadn't come in properly) and the other half telling me I should be bottle feeding him formula.

It wasn't until his lips were chapped and he was yelling that I realised how dehydrated and unhappy he was. Thankfully he only dropped to 3.6kg from 3.8kg in his first week and now he's nearly 7 weeks and exclusively breastfeeding.

I figure, much as supplementing isn't ideal if a baby has to eat, it has to eat. We are just lucky that we live in a day and age when we have a nutritionally rich alternative food source when mothers, due to no fault of their own, can't feed their children as much as they need. 100 years ago these little ones may not have made it at all.

Bottle feeds can cause complications in getting into breastfeeding, but it can be worked through with patience.

Best wishes.

my daughter was born 2 weeks early and a tinny baby, 6 lbs 2oz and 21 inches long. she lost her 10% of body weight and I was exclusivly breastfeeding, but at her 2 weeks visit she had not gained her birth weight, we waited to see if the week after she would gain it but she didnt, I meet with my lactician and I began to supplement with pumped breast milk but it didnt help have her weight back. She was a month old and not at her birth weight so I gave in and supplemented with formula, of course I breast feed her first then gave her formula. I did this for a month and now at 3 months I exclusivly breastfeed her. She is growing and soooo happy. I can even say that she dosent like being bottle feed, she spit out the fromula if I try to give her some and only wants her mommy's milk which makes me sooooo happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Since she had a c-section, they certainly had her on IV fluids. When moms are on IV fluids babes tend to get quite a bit more fluid into their system (compared to moms NOT on IV's) so when they're bron, they have tendencies to loose that "typical" weight loss sooner.

Yes! Especially if she was induced first. The longer she was on the IV and the more fluids they pumped into her, the more the baby would get. My DD also lost a lot in the very beginning because of this same reason. We were both really bloated from hours of IV fluids. Was her labor very long before the c/s?

Try really hard to get her to bf only if she wants to. The baby won't require much the first few days, and it will take longer for her milk to come in if they're supplementing. Good luck to you, and her, and congrats!

My first son weighed 11.5 when he was born and I never supplemented with formula. He lost down to 10.4 before we left the hospital and he gained it all back after leaving. My second son weighed 8.3 and has never had formula either and he lost down to 7.4 when we left. When we went back to the hospital 2 days later they said they had never saw a breastfed baby gain so fast. I would definately have your sister BF as much as possible. Even if it is every hour and 20 minutes. If you are feeding for her the baby still isn't taking milk from her breast and it is supply and demand. I think it is awesome though that you would do that for your sister so that her baby avoids formula!!! Is there a pump available so that she could use that if you BF for her or use that in between feeds?

sorry for the delay again, but got great news, my nephew's gaining weight now he's 4.2kgs nd exclusively breastfed for last 5days...
    thank you for all the support and help and links!

What a great update! Thank you so much for sharing. Best wishes to your sister and your nephew!

My baby was 9 lbs. 2 oz. and the only thing she has ever had in her mouth is my breast. She lost about 10% of her birth weight in the first three days, and rapidly gained it back solely on Mama's milk.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.