Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big baby getting hungry-is it ok to give formula only for first 3 days?

Default Big baby getting hungry-is it ok to give formula only for first 3 days?

Hi there

My sister just gave birth to a big baby considered here in my hometown at 4.06 kg or 8.95 pounds. She had to do C-setion as baby's heartbeat deteriorated to 85! Thus her milk flow is slow right now and baby lost 5% of birth weight in 24 hrs! So the nurses and doctors advised on formula milk for the first 3-4 days only, which i really am against.

Can anyone please provide any other solution to keep the baby fed without formula milk?

Thank you!

Default Re: Big baby getting hungry-is it ok to give formula only for first 3 days?

the more often she puts the baby to the breast the more milk she is going to make! less problems shes going to have with engorement.

Heres a good link to getting off to a good start.
    ITs common for babies to loose up to 10% of thier birhtwieght.
    IF mom had iv fluids babies birth weight might have been more then it should have been with out the iv.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/cesarean.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/normal.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/increase.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html

look up your local leader and give her a call she will be able to help!
    andrea

Default Re: Big baby getting hungry-is it ok to give formula only for first 3 days?

Congratulations auntie!!

Before a woman's milk "comes in" she has colostrum in her breasts for her newborn. You can read about it here:

What is colostrum? How does it benefit my baby?
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/colostrum.html

[Breastfeeding Myth #3]. There is no (not enough) milk during the first 3 or 4 days after birth.

Not true! It often seems like that because the baby is not latched on properly and therefore is unable to get the milk that is available. When there is not a lot of milk (as there is not, normally, in the first few days), the baby must be well latched on in order to get the milk. This accounts for "but he's been on the breast for 2 hours and is still hungry when I take him off". By not latching on well, the baby is unable to get the mother's first milk, called colostrum. Anyone who suggests you pump your milk to know how much colostrum there is, does not understand breastfeeding, and should be politely ignored. Once the mother's milk is abundant, a baby can latch on poorly and still may get plenty of milk.

from Some Breastfeeding Myths http://www.kellymom.com/newman/11some_bf_myths.html#3
    And before anyone gives a breastfeeding newborn a bottle to deliver anything (expressed milk OR formula) he or she should be aware that it can sometimes interfere with breastfeeding success.

Arg my baby is waking up, I'll find more info for you later.

I hope your sister is feeling better, I had a c-section too for similar reasons. My milk switched from colostrum to mature milk between 3 and 4 days post-partum.

Oh and one more quick thing-- your sister can always ask to have the baby's blood sugar levels tested. This might help assure the doctor that the baby isn't starving or anything like that. The best thing to do in those early days is to nurse, nurse, nurse because colostrum is great stuff!!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

I would not...its not uncommon for babies to lose up to 10% of their birthweight bfore leaving the hospital. My baby lost over that in the first 3 days, and then regained it and more by day 5. He never had formula!

. He was 8.5 pounds at birth.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Juju View Post
    Can anyone please provide any other solution to keep the baby fed without formula milk?
    Please urge your sister to contact an experienced IBCLC, and her local LLL Leader.

Also, you could suggest she put her newborn to the breast as often as possible--a good average would be 10x per 24 hours until her milk is in and baby naturally spaces feedings. Warn her that it's common for babies to want to nurse *really* frequently on day two. If baby feeds more often than 10x per day, that's totally fine.

Other suggestions:
    *Assure that baby is latched on well and that positioning is comfortable for both mother and baby. Here's one video that gives some good information and suggestions:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html (non-LLL resource)
    *Spend lots of time in skin to skin contact (baby stripped down to a diaper, mom topless, blanket wrapped around both for warmth)
    *Breast compressions can help baby take in more milk at the breast. Here is some info on how to do breast compressions (for videos, follow the link on the page): http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
    *She could supplement her baby with her colostrum. Many mothers find it's simple to hand express colostrum onto a spoon right after feedings, then supplement baby directly from the spoon. Here's a video that shows one method of hand expression, and how to supplement via spoon:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html (non-LLL resource)
    *If it should become necessary that she supplement with formula, she could offer the formula supplement via spoon, cup, or dropper so that baby meets his/her sucking needs at the breast.
    *Limit visitors so that mother and baby get lots of opportunities to nurse unhindered.

HTH!

Please keep us updated!

thanks for all the input, but guess i missed out on giving more details
    I'm from a country called Maldives and unfortunately we dont have LLL here
    and though gov n hospitals say they encourage breastfeedin, my experience is they always opt for easiest and easily conclude the mothers are not producing enough so to give formula milk
    my sister is breastfeeding him every 15-20mins which my sis-in-law a nurse said is probably exhaustin baby as there aint enough milk n hes using up energy on sucking.
    and yes babies lose birth weight in 1st week but to lose 5% in 24hrs is too much as doctors and everyone says.

It often seems like that because the baby is not latched on properly and therefore is unable to get the milk that is available.
    i agree with this TOTALLY

and yes me too i had a c-section and that pain, shes in lots of pain as well, she cant move around easily still and I too have this feeling that she is finding it hard to latch the baby properly, and I have told her and instructed her many times though,

I breastfeed my nephew whenever i visit her to avoid the formula milk....

and LLL_Jolie, thanks for all those links

he's doing a bit better now, but I'l do pass the message

Since she had a c-section, they certainly had her on IV fluids. When moms are on IV fluids babes tend to get quite a bit more fluid into their system (compared to moms NOT on IV's) so when they're bron, they have tendencies to loose that "typical" weight loss sooner. Something to think about and maybe talk to the doctors about. All in all - congrats to her, and you - new auntie- when she goes home (which might be soon, right?) she can keep baby at the breast often and at will :

You might be able to find a leader, while possibly not in your country, but in a country nearby? Might that work?

Good luck

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Maldives looks so cool!
    scales can be wrong too...
    what are his wets like?

I don't have alternative advice to supplementing with formula, but here was my experience.

My DS was 9lbs.9oz. at birth. My colostrum was not enough for him. He was very fussy and constantly nursing (which I know is very normal!). I finally gave in and we fed him some formula for a couple days until my milk came in. I always nursed him first, and then gave him just a little bit of formula. He was much, much more content.

Fast forward to today...he is now a healthy 9 month old who is exclusively breastfeeding. He had formula when he was 2,3, and 4 days old, and he hasn't had a drop of it since.

I know a lot of women are against supplementing with formula (and I preferred not too also), but when my baby was hungry, I wasn't going to just let him cry and be hungry. He was much more content those first few days with a little formula which meant I was much more content too.

Congrats to your sister!

1. All babies lose weight during their stay at the hospital.
    2. Your sister's colustrum will be enough for her baby. Her body knows how much to make for the size baby she has.
    3. Babies can switch from a bottle to breast, but some babies will find it difficult. It just means your sister will have to work a little harder and she will need your support. I used a bottle of formula for my baby who had jaundice. We needed her to eat a lot so she could poop the jaundice out. I know that it's not necessary, but she's my first so I just went with it. Fortunately, my baby switched to the breast really easily. Now, we can't get her back on the bottle!