Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS not back at birthwt - need support

Cool DS not back at birthwt - need support

Hi there...I'm new here...this is my first post.
    I really need support....I'm just totally worried about my new DS. He's a little over 2 wks old now...at his 2 wk visit, he still hadn't regained his birth weight (he lost 9 oz and still hasn't regained them back). I'm wondering if I'm making enough milk. After reading through some other posts that others have written, I'm thinking maybe I'm doing okay...but I really need some support. My mom and MIL are very unsupportive of me BF-ing and its starting to annoy me!! DS feeds for what seems like hours on end the past couple of nights. This morning (after being up all night - at least every hr to hr and a half), I gave him 1 oz of formula and he has been content ever since. I've been tracking his wet diapers/soiled diapers and he's been great with them. He feeds about every 2-3 hrs normally - but these past couple of days, it has been almost constant starting at 6pm until at least 3-4 am. Is all of this normal? Is he cluster feeding because of a growth spurt? I really appreciate all of your help. BF-ing didn't work with my DD because she was supplemented and didn't want the breast which devastated me (and I didn't have the support I needed to hang in there). Just wondering if you can offer any suggestions. I need my mom and MIL because I had a c-section and they are helping me with my 2 yr old DD, but with their negative words, I feel like I'm in a battle. Thank you sooooo much for listening!!

Default Re: DS not back at birthwt - need support

It is rough when you're not getting the much needed support these early days (and week,s and months ).

First things first - can you take a look in my signature to find a local LLL leader to call? At least to get a close by leader to have the # on hand. They can be so helpful on the phone!

In the mean time... what was baby's birthweight? What was the lowest weight - that is relly important. How much did he weight at the appt? What did the doctor say, if anything.

If his output is good, it does sound like you're doing well. Let us know...

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default I will call...

Thank you for the fast response. My Ds was born weighing 7lbs 9oz, and he was down to 7lbs at his 2 week check up. The doctor was asking me about my milk - like if i see the milk in his mouth during/after feedings (yes!), if one breast leaks if i'm feeding on the other (sometimes it does, but not all of the time), how often he feeds, if he's having wet diapers (at least 6-7 a day with almost as many green-yellowish seedy stools). And he's not dehydrated - his fontanelle isn't sunken, he's awake and alert - but always willing to feed - very strong rooting. Does this info help? I will try contacting someone in my local LLL. I don't know why I never thought to do that!

Default Re: I will call...

Well that weight gain sounds quite reasonable to me... especially given his output. have you seen this page?

(do you happen to know his lowest weight? Generally they'll weight baby before discharge ... sometimes )

quote from above page:
    Scales are all different. We have documented significant differences from one scale to another. Weights have often been written down wrong. A soaked cloth diaper may weigh 250 grams (half a pound) or more, so babies should be weighed naked or with a brand new dry diaper.
    Many rules about weight gain are taken from observations of growth of formula feeding babies. They do not necessarily apply to breastfeeding babies. A slow start may be compensated for later, by fixing the breastfeeding. Growth charts are guidelines only.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Cool Re: DS not back at birthwt - need support

As far as I know, his lowest weight was 7lbs. he was actually 7lbs and 0.5 oz at his 2 week appointment. So, he gained 1/2 oz in the one week....I go on Thursday for a recheck on his weight. I was wondering about the different scales. We've been using the same scale at the dr office - but I'm sure there has got to be a discrepancy between the hospital and the doctor's scales....

Hello there!

Was baby weighed between birth and his 2 week checkup? It is possible he went below 7 lbs and then has been gaining to get to that weight. Breastfed babies feed way more frequently than formula fed babies, which might explain why your baby was content after a bottle of formula. Please remember if you decide to supplement that you need to pump when you do...to make sure your supply stays constant.

If diapers are wet and he is pooping normally, then you are definitely making milk. One suggestion, to see how much he is taking in at a feed, is to take him to the pediatrician before nursing, and weigh before a feed. Then feed and weigh again--and see just how much baby is taking in.

And tell those helpers of yours that formula is the lesser food for babies. Breastmilk is perfectly suited for your lo!

Good Job, Mama!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Hello there!

Was baby weighed between birth and his 2 week checkup? It is possible he went below 7 lbs and then has been gaining to get to that weight. Breastfed babies feed way more frequently than formula fed babies, which might explain why your baby was content after a bottle of formula. Please remember if you decide to supplement that you need to pump when you do...to make sure your supply stays constant.

If diapers are wet and he is pooping normally, then you are definitely making milk. One suggestion, to see how much he is taking in at a feed, is to take him to the pediatrician before nursing, and weigh before a feed. Then feed and weigh again--and see just how much baby is taking in.

And tell those helpers of yours that formula is the lesser food for babies. Breastmilk is perfectly suited for your lo!

Good Job, Mama!

yep - hang in there. Keep it up. and let us know what happens at the next appt. Do see if there's a near-by leader/meeting.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Smile That was a great article!!

I'm going to re-read it again. It was the most helpful thing i've read so far. THANK YOU!!

He was 7lbs two days after he left the hospital and at week 2 (last week) he was 7lbs 0.5 oz. If he went lower, he regained it. The doctor was pretty upbeat - thinking that he should gain weight this week...if he still didn't, he mentioned the word supplementing. My DH went out and bought me one of those expensive electric pumps, but I'm afraid to open it. LOL

Smile Thank you for your help!!!

Thank you so much for your responses. I can't tell you how much comfort I've gotten already. I really appreciate your help. I guess BF'ing wasn't a big thing during my mom and MIL's time, so they are discouraging me. And I work in a children's hospital where breastmilk is ranked right "up there" with solid gold. Its nice to get a little stroke of confidence...I'll keep you posted with my DS's weight check this week. Thank you!!!