Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: unable to pump more than 1 oz total per session

Default unable to pump more than 1 oz total per session

I am still nursing DS (almost 3 months) but he has a high bubble palate, tight upper frenulum and issues with milk transfer. he nurses all the time and was gaing really slowly. I had to start supplementing since he was using too much energy to get the milk. the last 2 days he only had 2 oz each day of BM.

I have the lactina pump and I am trying to pump when ever I can which is about 3-4 times a day. DS doesn't have normal nursing cycles so pumping isn't at the same time since I nurse him when he needs it.

I use warm heat compresses and take domperidone but I can only pump 1 oz at most total from both most of the time it's a few drops to 1/2 oz from both. Even when my breast are slightly full feeling I cant pump a lot. they only started to get full feeling. I got my period back at 7 wks PP. this time around I haven;t even needed nursing pad since I don't leak. I also don't get a letdown sensation (not even with my first son and I nursed him with out problems) last night I pumped 3 hours after he last ate while he slept and got only a few drops.

Maybe I am cursed to be unresponsive to the pump. but is it possible to eventually get more per pump session? I've been pumping for about 3 weeks.

ETA I pumped after every feed when DS was in the PICU he was 8 day old and I pumped atleast 20 times and didn;t more than a few drops

Last edited by Startastic; November 21st, 2007 at 11:49 PM.

Default Re: unable to pump more than 1 oz total per session

Some mothers do have a hard time letting down to the pump. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with your milk production or you, it's just something that is.

Here's a technique that many mothers find helpful:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

If that doesn't help, perhaps hand expression alone would? Here's one method:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

Could you tell us a bit more about your nursing pattern? During feedings, do you find that breast compressions help at all?

we really don't have a pattern I nurse when he wants to which is almost always since he has a non nutritive suck and doesn't transfer milk well. at night he sometimes he can sleep for upto 4 hours if i top him off with what i pumped during the day. normally he is up every hour on the hour and nurses till he goes to sleep (15 to 20 mins) most of the time he doesn't swallow much so he wakes up right after. this goes on from midnight till 7am then he nurses a little more and might doze off so I can get dresses and my other son up for school. I sling and nurse and he'll fall right to sleep again.
    I pump every 3 hours during the day normally (sometimes less) when he is sleeping in my lap. I pump for 20mins and I do massage the breast sometimes I can press firmly and get another letdown. when I pump I only have one stream of milk i know I have other streams I can sometimes squeeze out a few drops, I just can't get them to spray when I pump or hand express.

when he nurses i do compressions it helps a little to get him to swallow but not always.

yesterday since it was thanksgiving i gave him ebm and pumped when i was really full not much but for me right now it was really full. i only pumped 3/4 oz

Do you think it could be related to AF? I never had supply problems till I got AF back, and then my milk took a drastic plunge, I nurse around the clock for 2 weeks, then finally read on kellymom.com that calcium can help. I started taking calcium and was able to get a lot more milk in just a few days. I don't see as dramatic a decrease after a few months of having AF again, but it was rough for a while.

Could you pump off one side while he's nursing on the other? Not only would it likely help your pump output, but it might also help your baby get more milk for his efforts, too. You could try any number of hands free bustiers, bras, ect to accomplish this, OR use this free method: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html

Do you have local support? IBCLC? LLL Leader?

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    Could you pump off one side while he's nursing on the other? Not only would it likely help your pump output, but it might also help your baby get more milk for his efforts, too. You could try any number of hands free bustiers, bras, ect to accomplish this, OR use this free method: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html

Do you have local support? IBCLC? LLL Leader?
    I made my own hands free bra by cutting slits in sleep bra. I have pumped while nursing on the other side and still get a low output.

I just rented a symphony and so far I a pumping less then with the Lactina. I may try the classic again I didn't respond to the classic with my first son but maybe it might work now. I normally I think I just have one letdown when pumping I cant feel my letdowns.

I spoke with the local leaders but they were at a loss. They said to try larger flanges but that hasn't helped.

I think I am just one of those people that just don't respond to pumps. I am thinking of trying the message cushion from an isis with my regular flanges. I think on kellymom it was mentioned.

ETA: When I pump so little per session does this mean I am only getting foremilk? right now I have 25ml of EBM in the fridge and of that only a little less than 2ml is creamy.
    Last edited by Startastic; November 29th, 2007 at 11:54 AM.