Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Purple??

Question Purple??

I just noticed this morning that the tips of both of my nipples are a little purple. Is this a bruise? I usually don't have any pain while bf and I think the latch is good. Could it be anything else? On another note, sometimes the tips of my nipples turn white as well - are these changes normal?

Default Re: Purple??

I'm glad you asked this question. I have the same thing but don't know what it is, hopefully some others will know. I don't have any pain either so I wasn't too worried about it.

It sounds exactly like blancing of the nipple (Raynaud's Syndrome) and it's GREAT if you don't have pain. It is known to be very painful and I can vouch for that!! The white is the circulation leaving your nipple and they can turn blue or purple when it returns. I would say nothing to worry about if you have no pain!!

Question Re: Purple??

I am not familiar with Raynaud's syndrome. What is it??

It's mostly associated with people whose fingers or toes turn white (blood vessels constrict and part loses circulation) with cold weather and then hurt pretty badly (sometimes) as the circulation returns. I had heard of it but never knew it could happen with your nipples!! When I feel pain after a feeding I can look and my nipples are white- it's called blanching. Anyway, I definitely still have it but it hurts less. It can also happen with your nipples after "trauma" like you can have with early breastfeeding. If you're not having pain you shouldn't worry, IMO.

I don't know if it's the same thing as Raynaud's Syndrome, but it sounds like what I saw vasospasm described as, but without the pain.