Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply going down after only 2 months?

Default Milk Supply going down after only 2 months?

I noticed yesterday that my breasts didn't seem as full and by evening they were very squishy and not anywhere near being full at all. Does supply decrease a lot suddenly or do you see a slow decrease? I almost look a cup size smaller.

I nurse on demand and occasionally pump to have some to store. I tried pumping last night and could barely get 1oz between BOTH breasts, normally I can get 2-4oz per breast. I pumped today and only got 2oz between both breasts. They have not felt full all day but seem very flaccid, normally they feel more full. I am not sure if my son is getting enough, he is 9 weeks old.

I have not been sick and am not on any medication besides the mini pill.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Milk Supply going down after only 2 months?

My first thought is that your supply is regulating to what the baby is demanding and your body isn't making extra like it did in the beginning. Is the baby getting enough to eat? Having enough wet diapers?

I never feel full anymore and haven't since who knows when. I don't remember the last time I leaked more than a drop or felt engorged. But the milk is still there. You have to trust the diapers. If the diapers aren't there, you have a supply issue. If they are, your body just figured out that you don't pump every day.

Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by zoewmu View Post
    My first thought is that your supply is regulating to what the baby is demanding and your body isn't making extra like it did in the beginning. Is the baby getting enough to eat? Having enough wet diapers?

I never feel full anymore and haven't since who knows when. I don't remember the last time I leaked more than a drop or felt engorged. But the milk is still there. You have to trust the diapers. If the diapers aren't there, you have a supply issue. If they are, your body just figured out that you don't pump every day.

Hang in there!
    DS seems to be hungry and I am worried he isn't getting enough. He still has plenty of wet diapers and stools though. Twice I have defrosted some frozen breast milk after a feeding and he has drank that down pretty quick. So is he not getting enough at the breast?

I need to be able to pump more then this so I can continue to store breast milk for when I have to work. Thankfully I only work on Fri & Sat and can take time to pump when I need too. Usually I like to start pumping on Tues to collect for the weekend. As of right now I am going to have to use milk from the freezer because I am not going to pump enough by Friday.

How do I get back to producing more?

Hi,

Breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make. Pump output, fullness of breasts, and leaking are not good indicators of milk production. Neither is a baby who wants to nurse "all the time". Wet and poopy diapers are the best indicators.

Most babies will finish a bottle even if they are not hungry. They have an instinct to suck, and they cannot control the fast flow of milk from a bottle. Also supplementing with bottles breaks the supply-demand cycle, because any feeding baby does not do at the breast sends a signal to your body to make less milk. If you little one acts hungry after nursing, you can switch sides and nurse baby again. You can also try breast compressions--gently squeezing your breast with a cupped hand when baby's sucking slows down, to encourage him to actively suck again and drink more milk. Two months old is prime time for a growth spurt, so nursing like crazy is very normal at this age. Baby is telling your body that he is growing and it's time to make more. Smart baby!

For more info about pumping, check out this link: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

Hang in there!

Tiana

You said that you are on the mini-pill. This can still decrease milk. Can you use a non-hormonal form of birth control?

Hi there! I would also suggest getting up at night to pump (I know, yuck!), but it helped me increase my supply when I needed it to. If the wet/poopy diapers are there, you are fine! But if you need some reassurance, bring your baby to his pediatrician and have him weighed (most dr.'s offices do this without a charge). Your baby is at the age of a growth spurt, so just keep nursing him like you are doing. I remember at about 2 months, my breast suddenly didn't feel "full" like they did when I first gave birth. This is a normal reaction of your body getting into the groove of "supply and demand". I had to increase my supply at one point, and got up at 2 am for several weeks to get my supply going. It helped, but was also hard because of the sleep interruption. But it was temporary and I got through it. I would say it sounds as though you aren't at this point yet. I would nurse more often and see how that goes first! Good luck!