Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new lactation cookies!

Default new lactation cookies!

I just made these earlier in the week and, while not intending them as a lactation aid, after eating a few of them them mid-afternoon, by the evening my breasts were leaking, which they haven't done in at least a month. They're also tasty, and store well (not that they'll need to,as my entire family is liking them quite a bit)

Nigella's breakfast bars (from Nigella Lawson)

1 14-fl-oz can condensed milk
    2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
    1 cup shredded coconut
    1 cup dried cranberries
    1 cup mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame)
    1 cup natural unsalted peanuts

1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and oil a 9- x 13-inch baking pan or just use a disposable aluminum foil one.

2. Warm the condensed milk in a large pan.

3. Meanwhile, mix all the other ingredients together and add the warmed condensed milk, using a rubber spatula to fold and distribute.

4. Spread the mixture into the oiled or foil pan and press down with a spatula or, better still, your hands (wearing those disposable latex CSI gloves to stop you from sticking) to make the surface even.

5. Bake for 1 hour, remove, and after about 15 minutes, cut into four across and four down, to make 16 chunky bars. Let cool completely.

Makes 16

**I did make a few changes:
    - my seed stash was gone, so instead of 1c seeds I added in 1c of pressed barley. (Barley works as well or better than oatmeal in terms of boosting my own milk supply- you can get it in the bulk foods section usually- also called "quick cooking barley", it looks a lot like the rolled oatmeal)
    - I used dried tart cherries instead of cranberries because that's what I had, and I love them
    - I threw in 1/2c chocolate chips
    - I used salted peanuts and thought the salt was good in there as the rest of the ingredients are so sweet
    - these are sticky and I didn't oil the pan, so they didn't cut into bars so well and I ended up breaking them into cookie-sized chunks. equally tasty though. the moral of the story is that if you want bars, oil the pan.

enjoy! and let me know if they work for your milk too

Default Re: new lactation cookies!

thanks! i'll try this one.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Default Re: new lactation cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by lovemyTY&N View Post
    I just made these earlier in the week and, while not intending them as a lactation aid, after eating a few of them them mid-afternoon, by the evening my breasts were leaking, which they haven't done in at least a month. They're also tasty, and store well (not that they'll need to,as my entire family is liking them quite a bit)

Maybe you could start a little business.....lactation cookies I don't want to make them, but I'd buy em'!