Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleepy baby

Default Sleepy baby

My daughter is one month old and she is still very sleepy on the breast. In fact, I would have to say that she is more sleepy now than she ever has been. I am doing the skin-on-skin feedings and I change her in between breasts, but nothing seems to work. One week ago she would latch for about 15 min each breast, but now she only feeds for roughly 10 minutes on one side and refuses any more. I know that they get more efficient as time goes on, but I don't think this is the case. Also, she can go for 4 hours + between feedings. I have to wake her up every 2-3 hours which doesn't help with her sleepiness. She was 8 lbs 13 ozs when born and she's a little over 11lbs now, so can I go to demand feedings even if its 4 hours between feedings? Right now I feel like I'm forcing her to eat when she doesn't want or need to. When does this sleepy period usually end? Will my milk supply adjust if she 'wakes up' and wants more, or will I have to pump to re-establish my current supply?

Default Re: Sleepy baby

Have you tried breast compressions? Here's a link that might help.
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
    HTH

Default Re: Sleepy baby

By my calculation, she's gaining over an ounce a day, which is about as much as you can expect. You might want to check with your doctor or a lactation consultant about that. If her weight gain is okay, then you can relax about that and if you are just concerned about your supply, you can pump a few times a day.

I'm have a two month old sleepy baby, who only regained her birthweight a couple of weeks ago. Her nursing has improved, but she doesn't really want to work for her food. She's much happier with a bottle. One thing that I tried that has seemed to help is the "Finish at the Breast" supplementation (See http://www.bfar.org/FINISHATTHEBREAST.pdf). I give her a shot of supplement from a bottle when she falls asleep and then switch breasts. The flow from the bottle seems to wake her up and get her to nurse more vigorously. I am now down to only supplementing 1-2 times a day. I never give her more than an ounce of supplement at a time. Up to the last weigh in she has been gaining weight pretty well. However, she only gained about an ounce or two last week. So, I'm a little concerned about my supply. I have trouble pumping because she doesn't sleep unless I'm holding her or she is right next to my chest.