Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decline in supply at seven months?

Unhappy Decline in supply at seven months?

I have been successfully breastfeeding for seven months now and all of a sudden the amount of milk I pump during the day is decreasing. I had a cold last week and thought that might be the cause, but am feeling better, not taking any medications and nursed as frequently as possible over the weekend and still am not pumping as much as usual. Today's session was almost half of what I have been getting. Has this happened to anyone else out there? What else can I do besides frequent nursing to increase supply?
    Last edited by MountainGirl; November 21st, 2007 at 10:45 PM.

Default Re: Decline in supply at seven months?

Has your period returned? Period can have an affect on milk supply, and it can also make it almost impossible (for me at least) to get a letdown especially when pumping. This could be the reason? I had my period around 7 month pp too and it was this time that I had to start supplementing as my LO only takes the bottle during the day.

There are few things that you can take to help boost milk supply, try fenugreek, oatmeal (this really helped me!), milk thistle, and this link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

HTH good luck!

Here's a link to some information on increasing your pump output: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html .

What you are experiencing is not at all uncommon among mothers who pump while at work, and is often referred to as the "six month slump". Check your pump to make sure it is in good working order, try to avoid multi-tasking while pumping (answering emails, filing papers, whatever), do your best to limit the stress in your life, and try to find more time to nurse your baby when you are together.

Hang in there!

Tiana

Thank you moms for your advice. My milk supply seems to be slowly returning, although I am still not able to pump as much as my LO is eating each day. I have been drinking Mother's Milk tea and breastfeeding as much as possible when we are together. Hopefully, with a little patience, I will be able to pump more. I really don't want to have to start supplementing!