Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons why one need to relactact?

Question Reasons why one need to relactact?

I am wondering for what reason a mom would need to relactact. Dh is pushing formula for dd2 to see if it is my supply effecting her behavior. I am worried if I do and it does not work my supply will be gone in a week. I know I can pump to keep my supply up but I do not have time during the day to pump. So, if I where to leave my milk alone and then relactact a week later can it be done?
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Reasons why one need to relactact?

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    I am wondering for what reason a mom would need to relactact. Dh is pushing formula for dd2 to see if it is my supply effecting her behavior. I am worried if I do and it does not work my supply will be gone in a week. I know I can pump to keep my supply up but I do not have time during the day to pump. So, if I where to leave my milk alone and then relactact a week later can it be done?
    If a mother is forced to stop breastfeeding because of medical reasons or decides to wean before she is ready to let go of her nursing relationship she has to work on re-lactation to get restarted.

I am troubled to see that formula would be viewed as better for your baby in comparison to your milk. You milk is unlikely the reason you are having difficulties with your baby. It is made perfectly to meet your babies nutritional needs. Can you tell us more about what behaviors you are seeing as problematic? Here is a link to normal baby behaviors.

You are correct that if you stop nursing for a week you will need to go through much work to get your supply up. In addition to that if you abruptly stop nursing your body will continue to make milk, and you will become painfully engorged. A typical weaning scenario involves slow gradual droppings of feedings. A baby that is small still needs a close connection to its mama, not a bottle of formula. Perhaps we can help you figure out what changes need to be made in order to accommodate both your feelings and your baby's. Are you really ready to wean?

From what I've read in your previous posts I think the opposite is true. I think that FF is adversly affecting DD#2, that and all the stress you're under. Formula can cause all kinds of problems since it's unnatural for your LO's body. I would try to exclusively BF before I tried to stop and relactate. You don't need all that extra work. I've read that women who relactate have to pump at least 8-10x a day and you say you don't have time to pump now. I know you're struggling and are frustrated but you're doing a GREAT job! Nothing worthwhile is easy IMO, continue to BF and work on eliminating what formula your DD is getting. You can do this, I know you can

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thanks for your replies. Dd2 has received on bottle of formula in 2 months. It was a moment of weakness and I forgot I had some milk in the freezer.

I am going to stick through with it unless dh becomes serious set I wean. I am not ready I just do not remember dd1 or ds going through this phase.

CarpenterGirl ~ I do not know how to post links without the whole address but is is under bf infants and I have a few different posts. One is 10hrs of sleep and What is going on? (I think). my brain hurts and all the kids are asleep. Well dd2 is laying on my chest but asleep. my mom and mil would kill me

Would they kill you for letting your daughter fall asleep in your arms? How sad! That is one of the hightlights of motherhood. Your baby feels safe enough and trusts you enough to fall asleep in the safety of your protective arms. Enjoy her. Don't think that someone else's ideas of "spoiling" will hurt her. They won't. She will love you and you will love her all the more.

It's not so easy as ff for one week and then relactate. Depending on your body, you could be setting yourself up to depend on formula for months!

You've done so well, I'd hate for you to lose it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post

You've done so well, I'd hate for you to lose it all!

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I am not I was looking at options for when dh and I talk again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    I am not I was looking at options for when dh and I talk again tonight.
    This is just my 2 cents and pretty quickly, the old mommy rush, but I am not fully aware of your exact situation and your LO's behavior or the reasons your husband would want to use formula and I am not sure about your lack of time to pump but what if you found just a little time to pump and maybe nursed her and also gave her breastmilk in a bottle rather than formula..
    again not sure what the whole situation is but thought I would throw that out there to keep you from possibly doing a full week of formula only.
    Good luck to you!!
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

I am going to stick through with it unless dh becomes serious set I wean.
    Why on earth should your DH decide when YOU should wean baby off the breast!? Are you to obey to him? No!

Men sometimes leave me perplexed....
    If you prefer to give breastmilk to your DD, so you do. Full stop! You are not going to wean your child because your MIL wants you to or I want you to (which is absolutely not the case).

Relactating seems to be hard work. Once you would attempt that, is your DH going to support you? Or is he going to say that you should not be so hard on yourself, the formula is working well, so why relactate?! After all, your DH is not supportive of BF, why should he be supportive of relactation........

Just go ahead and stick to it!!!
    All the very best!