Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

My LO is 2 weeks + 4 days old. She eats every 1.5 to 2 hours, even through the night (needless to say, I'm exhausted). When she nurses, I do not switch breasts because she will not latch on again. She only eats for about 10 minutes, then she will pull off. Is there any way I can get her to feed for longer and space out her feedings? I don't know how long it takes for hind milk to come in. I can't rouse her once she has dozed off, but I would love to get some more sleep at night! Thank goodness she is finally catching on to the side-lying position.

Also, my nipples are SO sore! Is this most likely from the frequent feedings, or is she maybe not latching on properly? Her lips appear to be turned out and not in. She gets a good portion of my nipple in her mouth, but can sometimes slide off as she gets sleepier. I hate to try to fix her latch at that point because she won't finish feeding. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Cat, 1st time mom to Carissa, born 11/3/07

Default Re: Is this normal?

First and congrats on your baby.

I am not too good with help except. Yes, the feedings that young are very normal, at least for me they were and still are . As for the sore nipples from what I hear it is almost alway from poor latching. Plus, if she just slides off like my dd2 does that will add more unwanted pain. I can not any more help but I can send you a because you are me 11wks ago. My dd2 is 13wks and 2hrs between feedings is still her normal most days. Unless we are on the move she sleeps when we are busy and then I get a 3 - 4 hrs space, but she will feed for 20 - 40 min....there is a catch 22 to everything...LOL

Hang in there.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

It does sound like a less than perfect latch. But they're lips are supposed to be out, not in. Also, it takes a while for the discomfort to subside, so maybe that's part of it? Sorry I don't have better advice...Have you consulted with a LC?

2 hours between feedings (from the start of one feeding to the start of the next) is pretty typical even through the night. If she'll only take one side, I wouldn't worry about it as long as she's wetting enough diapers.

I can't address the soreness. It could be a latch problem and, if you have a leader near you, I'd have someone check for you. Otherwise, Lansinoh and exposure to air can help with soreness.

Sounds like you're doing great! Hang in there! The first six weeks can be tough but it does get easier.

frequent feedings are normal! if weight gain and wet diapers are ok, then don't worry so much about how much ime babe spends at each breast.

Mt lo just started sleeping longer stretchrs about a week ago--last night we got 4 hours (but my 23 mo was up every 1.5). It totally depends on the baby!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

The first 2-3 weeks my nipples were sooooo sore! I cringed every time my DS latched on..the nipple pain seemed worse than my labor contractions!
    It was so painful, I was about to quit BF, but I stuck with it and Im so happy I did!

Proud mother of our beautiful little angel in heaven (19 weeks on 1/19/2007)

Proud mother of Jadon Eli born 6/26/07 (a TTTS survivor) My joy and miracle baby

[

I'm new at this, too, but I read Dr. Jack Newman's book and he suggested breast compressions for babies that fall asleep during nursing. I would follow the pp's advice, but also read this article.
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Hope this helps.