Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: does breast milk NEED to be heated for consumption?

Default does breast milk NEED to be heated for consumption?

I am just pumping for my little one, it just seems to work out better for us than anything else. I cannot find out anywhere a real straight answer about whether I can take a bottle of breast milk out of the fridge and feed it to baby right then and there. Anyone?

Default Re: does breast milk NEED to be heated for consumption?

No, breast milk does not need to be heated, and you will save yourself hassle by getting baby used to drinking the milk chilled. Also, heating the milk, even if its the recommended way of placing the bottle in a bowl of hot water, can hurt some of human milk's beneficial properties. Heating on the stove is never recommended because if the milk gets too hot, its useless.

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/bab...feed/7260.html Don't be alarmed by the link. It's just a statement saying that milk doesn't need to be warmed to feed baby.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...l/320/7229/235 This link has some great information and includes statements from medical professionals saying that there is no health reason for warming milk for babies.

My son is 10 months old and LOVES his milk chilled, especially when his teething gets bad or he's been playing outside and gets a little overheated. So yeah save yourself the hassle

My son LOVES mommy's milk straight from the fridge - especially now that's it's hot outside!

wow, that was a good question. good to know for my antsy lil guy! he hates to wait while his bottle is warmed.

Heating isn't neccessary. Some babies do prefer ebm heated. Others don't mind either way. Just go by what your baby is comfortable with!