Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sippy cups plates etc

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Sippy cups plates etc

Whenever I have given DS a sippy cup, he just hits his highchair with it repeatedly and then flings it across the kitchen.

When he's had a plate, he picks it up and flips his food everywhere. So I now just put his food straight onto the highchair tray.

Is this common? How can I encourage him to use a cup and plate properly? Does it even matter?

(he's 8 months tomorrow)

Default Re: Sippy cups plates etc

In my opinion (and experience) 8 mo is too young to be expected to learn to use things like plates & cups "correctly". Early eating is about exploring and experimenting - and yes that experimenting often includes throwing and banging.

We did baby led solids - DS got his food on his placemat (we never used a highchair or tray). We had a plate nearby with more food for DS so he could see what else was available.

I think that at about 12 or 13 mo my DS got over the worst of the "flinging" phase.

Now at almost 16 mo DS gets his food on a plate (or in a bowl) and is getting pretty good at eating with a fork or spoon and the plate usually stays on the table. When my DS gets to the playing stage of banging his fork or cup - it generally means he's done eating and we stop his meal.

I personally think that good table manners do matter, but that 8 mo is too young for LO to start learning.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My son drops his sippy cup on purpose. I just take it, say "We don't throw our cups." And put it on the table nicely. Sometimes we make a game of putting it on the table, and clapping and cheering.

Hes 11.5 months now. When hes done eating, I will give him the plate or bowl that was for his food with a bit left on it. He is starting to want to be more like me and DH, asks for our forks, etc. We're just following his lead.

A couple days ago he licked his oatmeal bowl clean
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

8 months is way too early for using plates. Actually, I think until 13-14 months babies like throwing everything on the floor from their highchairs in order to see what will happen My son (16 months) still gets his finger foods on his tray and whenever I put a plate in front of him to encourage him to use a spoon and fork, I have to hold on to the plate since he attempts to throw it on the floor as soon as he is done with eating.

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

phew. THat's good.

I just was worried as there's a little girl at my toddler group who's about a month or so older than him and she uses a sippy cup really well. But then she was FF (on advice of Dr who didn't know about BFing - poor mum).

I know I shouldn't compare, but it happens occassionally!

We had DJ in his high chair with no plate and no silverware until over the year point. We would give him sips of water in a glass with a straw until about a year.
    About a year we introduced the section plates with the suction cup on the bottom so he couldn't get it off the highchair. I was worried that he would eat wit his hands forever. Around 14months he started trying to work it out with silverware.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    We had DJ in his high chair with no plate and no silverware until over the year point. We would give him sips of water in a glass with a straw until about a year.
    About a year we introduced the section plates with the suction cup on the bottom so he couldn't get it off the highchair. I was worried that he would eat wit his hands forever. Around 14months he started trying to work it out with silverware.
    suction cup bottom..... GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    About a year we introduced the section plates with the suction cup on the bottom so he couldn't get it off the highchair.
    I tried the suction cup bottom plates but they never stick to the plastic trays of the highchairs, my son can easily get it out. Is there a brand that sticks well?

I think the bowls I have with suction cups are by Sassy. I got them at Babies R Us and they came in three different sizes and all had lids. I didn't have any problem with them sticking to the plastic tray, but you do have make sure the tray is completely dry.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    I tried the suction cup bottom plates but they never stick to the plastic trays of the highchairs, my son can easily get it out. Is there a brand that sticks well?
    I can't get them to stick to our table for anything dont feel bad!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!