Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When is this going to stop??

Default When is this going to stop??

My son (going 18 months) has been nursing like a newborn, except, a little longer! Especially when he's asleep, he refuses to unlatch and would wake up angry when I try to unlatch him.

I think it's probably a growth spurt, but how long more will this last?!! My back hurts because of how I have to lie when he's nursing-sleeping.

Help!
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Default Re: When is this going to stop??

That was the age my dd was when I started limiting her.

I hear you dorothy! My dd is going to turn 3 in February and sometimes we still have marathon nights like that.
    I'm guessing that your child is either going through a developmental stage that is causing a little insecurity or fighting a bug.

I hope it goes over soon! I love the nights when my little one sleeps in her bed until 4am or a little later, but those have been few and far between lately.

Well, he is having a bit of a cough left over from a cold he's had a week ago. But he's been drinking like that since before he caught the cold. So I am guessing it must be the developmental thing. (He's started saying "no" to everything recently, and he's been really asserting his independence.)

He's also been eating like a horse lately, during his 3 meals and all the time in-between! It's either carrots, potatoes, peas, cookies, an apple, a banana... almost all day long.

Whatever it is, I just hope the endless feeding will end soon!!!
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Wow.. That's a growth spurt. Get ready to buy all new shoes.

Oh dear. I've just bought him a pair of new winter boots! (Winter here lasts till Feb or even early March.)

I`m going through something similar with Shion, only for us it`s teething. I want to limit him but I feel so sorry for him. Last night we hardly slept at all. He was either up nursing or crying or both.
    In your case it sure sounds like a growth spurt. I hope he will return to his normal nursing schedule soon.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

One thing that we've been going through is that DD figured out that if she felt me unlatching, she was going to bed and she didn't want that so she'd wake up and cry and want to switch sides. I've tried to make it so the nursing was not the last part of the bedtime routine to see if that helps a bit. We used to nurse in her bedroom and then she'd go to bed. Now we nurse in the living room and she walks down the hall to the bedroom. It just helps send a signal that nursing time is over and then, as we walk down the hall, bedtime is here but that they aren't in the same minute.

's Mama! I know exactly what you're going thru right now, DD is doing the same thing
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

I also feel bad about limiting him because I am sure he's nursing more because he needs it. It's just that I feel rather sore after a while. And also, my supply isn't able to keep up with his demand. He'd fuss at the breast (and sometimes twist and turn and kick and wriggle in frustration) because he's not getting enough or getting it fast enough, and that usually causes him to pull on the nipple a little. ouch! Tonight papa is putting him to sleep because I don't think I have any milk left after the last marathon session.

Thanks for letting me vent. I just needed to air my frustration a little.