Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried Sick!

Default Re: Worried Sick!

Quote Originally Posted by awnja View Post
    Something to keep in mind: Bottle feeding and digesting formula is just exhausting to a tiny baby. In my opinion, that's why they seem more "satisfied" after a bottle. They are tired. Breastfed babies need a little less sleep, are more alert, etc. So yeah, he's going to be a bit more demanding right now when getting your milk. I leaked like crazy right after my milk came in and it took several weeks for the supply to even out. Then I didn't leak so much.

I knew a baby who only pooped on Tuesdays. It was almost creepy. It wasn't ALWAYS Tuesdays, but it was always about 7 days apart. So Tuesdays became a mandatory bath day.

18 months is not an easy age either! You've got a lot on your plate. Your dear husband really should have known this would be stressful with or without formula. Second borns get sick more often and breastfeeding will help prevent and shorten illnesses. And no bottles to wash. Trust me, bottle or not, your situation is not going to be easy. Doable, but NOT easy. I'm sure that both babies are a real blessing to you and they will be great playmates in the future. When they are two and three, they will be less work because they will have each other. But still, gosh, I just want to send you an extra hour for a bubble bath all by yourself.

You seem like a wonderful mother. Be patient with yourself and your family and hang in there. Everything your baby is doing sounds perfectly normal for his age. Your mother sounds normal for her age too.

Dad, on the other hand.. Well you're right; the husband's support makes all the difference in the world in the beginning. Bring him over here.. let me talk to him...
    Thanks I'll bring my husband over right away!

6-8 wet diapers is good, that means he's probably getting enough milk. I'm not surprised you aren't getting much when you pump, it sounds like you're nursing your little heart out, and your pump isn't going to get anything out past what your lo can. To help increase your supply, try to pump for 5-8 min right after as many nursings as possible, this won't interfere with his next nursing, and will give your breasts extra stimulation to make more milk. Cut holes in an old sports bra so you can pump hands free so you can spend some more time with your 18 month old. If you keep avoiding the formula for another few days hopefully you'll see a big difference.

As a mother of twins I can tell you that you'll very quickly learn how to deal with each child's needs. I can nurse one baby and at the same time get up and chase down the other one and take paper out of her mouth without unlatching. Have you learned how to do the football hold yet? You might be able to put a pillow by your side and tuck him into the football hold to nurse, leaving most of your lap open for dd.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I haven't read all the posts but in response to your concerns...

-Pumping does not give you an adequate idea of your supply. The baby takes far more from your breast than pumping does. What is means is that you're not good at pumping (a lot of people aren't), not that you're not good at breastfeeding. My LO can eat for an hour on my left breast and have milk dribbling from her mouth but when I pump the left breast, even early in the morning after being asleep for many hours, I frequently only get 1 oz. That doesn't mean that there is just one ounce in there - it just means that's all I can pump.

-Breasts tend to leak when they don't know how much to make. The lack of leaking sometimes just means that they've stabilized. I know that was the case with mine. They leaked in the beginning but they stopped. Now they only leak when I've had milk in them for many many hours without BFing or pumping. Don't worry about the leaking.

-Your LO may be more satisfied-seeming with the formula because it's heavier and harder to digest so it makes them very sleepy and they'll conk out for longer than they will with breastmilk. Also,milk/formula flows very easily out of fake nipples. LOs have to work to get it out of real nipples.

-My LO was early as well and very small. Her suck was weak and even the LLL LC we worked with said to just use bottles in the beginning. Since I only pumped 1/2 oz at a time, it was impossible to make all-breastmilk bottles for her so we used mostly formula in the beginning with a little breastmilk mixed in. Don't worry about doing that if you have to. Your baby has to eat. I'm one of the few on this site who is grateful for formula because without it, my LO would have starved for the first 5 weeks. As she gained in strength and learned to nurse, we reduced the amount of formula she gets by a lot. Don't worry - it can be done!

Best of luck to you!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Also, in my experience fenugreek and Mother's Milk tea upset my LO's tummy. That might also be what's happening with your LO.

Good luck!

You're doing an awesome thing, those first weeks are really tough. I know I felt like I was nursing all day and night, day after day...oh wait, that's because I was! I had a little monster LoL-- she used to nurse for 45 minutes, take a 15 minute catnap, then wake up rooting around for more. What you're describing, the 1-2 hours, sounds totally normal. I know it's exhausting but it will not last forever.

Frequent Nursing
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

I only have one child, but I saw this link and thought maybe it might help you with the toddler/newborn juggling act.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...n-toddler.html

I have never been able to pump more than a couple of tablespoons of milk. There are other, far better ways to tell if your baby is getting enough milk, and this link has good information.

Is your milk supply really low?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

Hey has anyone mentioned that 3 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt? Have you brought LO in to get weighed and everything recently?

I agree with everyone else that hooking up with a local LLL group would be an all-around great idea. Keep calling up that leader!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice I'm still trying, it seems he's never ever satisfied so I'm trying to supplament. The other night we were both sweaty and frustrated because he kept trying to bf and didn't seem to be getting enough at all, he was angry, but I'm willing to keep trying.

Edilsa

Quote Originally Posted by elegrier View Post
    Thanks everyone for all your help and advice I'm still trying, it seems he's never ever satisfied so I'm trying to supplament. The other night we were both sweaty and frustrated because he kept trying to bf and didn't seem to be getting enough at all, he was angry, but I'm willing to keep trying.

Edilsa
    Has anyone checked out your latch for you? Sometimes if a baby isn't latched on correctly, he or she will nurse for long periods of time without getting all the milk that is available. Have you been able to find any real-life help? That can make all the difference in the world.

There is a demonstration of what a good asymmetrical latch looks like here:
    Latching and Positioning Resources

Notice that the baby in the picture is covering more of the areola with his bottom lip than his top lip.

Here are some tips from The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers by Jack Newman (pg 58.)

If the baby has latched on well:

--he will cover more of the areola with his lower lip than his upper lip.
    --his lips will be turned outward.
    --his chin, but not his nose, will be touching your breast.
    --his body will be slightly rotated upward so that he is looking at you.
    You can also find video clips of babies latching here, at Dr. Newman's website.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

hi keep going there. the first weeks and months can be tough but you are doing great and seem to be doing it all alone. just be confident -- get as much rest as possible and make sure you put him to the breast as much as possible and your milk supply will be fine. I would try to get off the formula as fast as possible.
    hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Russianmother View Post
    hi keep going there. the first weeks and months can be tough but you are doing great and seem to be doing it all alone. just be confident -- get as much rest as possible and make sure you put him to the breast as much as possible and your milk supply will be fine. I would try to get off the formula as fast as possible.
    hang in there!

Rest seems impossible -but I'm giving it a try. Seems like his tummy growls without formula?

If you are hearing his tummy growl.. it may just be that he is drinking in a different way and swallowing more air?

I know that my boy found it easier to drink from a bottle than struggling with his poor latch at the breast, but I found that he prefered drinking EBM to formula. I guess the lad has taste *grin* I found breast pumping a necessary evil but I know it's not for everyone.

Keep up the good work. I think it's well worth the battle.