Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried Sick!

Unhappy Worried Sick!

Hi I posted my worries about breastfeeding before, my son is 3 weeks old on Monday, he came home at 5lbs 9 oz, and the Lactation consultants at the hospital recommended supplamenting with formula because he was 3 weeks early and little. So I've been supplamenting about 1-2 a day with formula, sometimes none. I have no support at home my husband thinks its too stressful for us because we also have an 18 month old. My mom was here but now she's gone she also believed he should have formula all the time, because she thought my milk supply wasn't enough. I pumped and don't get much at at, so I stopped pumping and now I'm only bfeeding, it seems as though he is never satisfied, but once he does get the bottle he's content. Another thing I noticed my breast stopped leaking last week, they used to leak everytime he would suck from one breast but now no leaking at all? Did my supply go down all ready?
    I've been drinking Mothers Milk Tea, taking Fenugreek from time to time, but now I notice my LO is gassy and hasn't had a BM in two days? I called a LLL leader but I didn't get a call back, I just wanted to know I was doing the right things, and want this to work, it didn't work with my 18 month old I gave up right around 3 weeks with her. I don't want to do that to my son; but its hard when you have no support.

Default Re: Worried Sick!

You do have support, we are all here to help you through this I'm sorry that you're not getting the support at home though.

My breasts never leaked except for one or two times. It does not necessarily mean that your supply has dropped. It could mean that your body is starting to regulate your milk supply.

Pumping can help in telling your body to produce more milk. So just because you aren't getting much out, its still useful. When you offer a bottle of formula, are you pumping to replace that feeding? If not, you are telling your body to make less milk.

Breastmilk is absorbed faster thant formula is digested. So it is not uncommon for a baby to want to nurse more often.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

do try your local leader again, sometimes messages get lost!
    Heres a good link about getting off to a good start.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html

The only time I leaked was a drop one time Another thing I went through was DS would eat for an HOUR and then and hour later be hungry. I felt just like you do, but I realized that it was his way of getting me to make more. The supply and demand thing is so real. It got a lot better aroung 6-7 weeks and by a months old it was WAY better you are doing fine. I am not sure about the poop though, but that doesnt mean it is bad it means I dont know for sure. You are doing great!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I think you're doing a very good job! Is your ds gaining weight well now? Does he have enough wet and dirty diapers? These are better markers for getting adequate milk than how much you pump. If you are pumping around nursing you may not pump much milk, and depending on what kind of pump you have, how well you respond to it, and how much you use your hands even if you are pumping for a full feeding you may not get much. A pump is never as good as your lo at removing milk.

The leaking is different for everyone, I think it does stop for a lot of women once the initial engorgement is passed.

If your lo is now gaining weight well and nursing well there's no reason he should need formula. If you feed him on demand for a few days, even if he has to eat every 1.5-2hrs, your milk will increase to what he needs. It's difficult to increase your supply if he's getting any kind of supplement because every oz of formula he gets means less stimulation for your breasts, and that's what you need to get your milk where it needs to be. The other thing is most babies hit a growth spurt at about 3weeks, so he may want to be at the breast all the time for a few days, but this is perfectly normal, it's how he increases your supply.

It's actually VERY normal for breastfed babies to go up to 7-10 days without pooping. BM doesn't constipate, that's a formula only thing. As long as he seems comfortable don't worry about it, but be prepared for a massive poo soon! The longer they go the bigger the poo is...

It too bad you don't have more support at home, once breastfeeding is well established it's much much easier than bottlefeeding ever could be--no dishes, feeding is done in under 10min (after about 3 months old), and you save a lot of $$ on formula and trips to the doctor b/c your lo won't be sick as often. Could you try calling another LLL leader in your area? Maybe that one was out of town for the holidays. I know it always makes me feel better to hear from an expert that I'm doing the right things.

Unhappy Re: Worried Sick!

Thank you all so much for the encouragement, I will contact another LLL Leader in the area. I really really needed to know I was doing the right thing, I only supplamented with formula because I was forced to, and no I didn't pump while I supplamented becasue my LO would still want the breast anyway, even after the formula? I won't worry anymore about the leaking breasts, he seems pretty comfortable although he cringes and pulls my nipples from time to time, the past couple of nights have been rough though he would wake every hour and want to stay on for a while, I would have to keep switching between breast. I know it gets easier, but I also feel bad for my 18 month old we were very very close and she gets a bit frustrated when he's constantly breastfeeding.
    I'll try to get some pumping in, but this week its been hard since he's been wanting to feed every 1-2 hours, if I did pump it would only give me 20ml?

Edilsa

Quote Originally Posted by elegrier View Post
    Thank you all so much for the encouragement, I will contact another LLL Leader in the area. I really really needed to know I was doing the right thing, I only supplamented with formula because I was forced to, and no I didn't pump while I supplamented becasue my LO would still want the breast anyway, even after the formula? I won't worry anymore about the leaking breasts, he seems pretty comfortable although he cringes and pulls my nipples from time to time, the past couple of nights have been rough though he would wake every hour and want to stay on for a while, I would have to keep switching between breast. I know it gets easier, but I also feel bad for my 18 month old we were very very close and she gets a bit frustrated when he's constantly breastfeeding.
    I'll try to get some pumping in, but this week its been hard since he's been wanting to feed every 1-2 hours, if I did pump it would only give me 20ml?

Edilsa
    You are doing a great great job momma!!! My breasts would leak crazily but when my son was around 3 wks that slowed down, he is 5 wks now and I only really leak a bit in the morning.
    I also know how you feel with your other LO, my daughter has told me several times she does not like when my son "eats from my boobs" and I know that is only because it has taken away so much of our time together. I know its not easy but have you tried getting your LO to sit with you while you are nursing? My daughter liked when I would read her a book while nursing... just a thought.
    And when you are nursing its very common to get very little when pumping, some mommas dont get anything.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Quote Originally Posted by elegrier View Post
    I know it gets easier, but I also feel bad for my 18 month old we were very very close and she gets a bit frustrated when he's constantly breastfeeding.
    Edilsa
    Maybe you can try nursing your baby in a sling while taking care/spending time with your 18 month old? If anything, it can free up your hands to be able to read a book, color, etc. Check out the babywearing threads on here for some advice on that if you think it is an option (can anyone post her a link -- I don't know how the heck to do it)

I also know that 3 weeks can be a time of a growth spurt and I remember constantly nursing side to side at that time and it was literally hours of nursing. I know how it can feel endless at times, but I promise you it does get easier. For me, it was right around the 6 week mark. Baby started becoming much more efficient at eating and all of a sudden he went from nursing for 1 or more hours at a time to 10 minutes.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Thanks again, I'm just trying to get to the six week mark! This week has been challenging, I'm determined not to give him any formula this week he's only had 3 this week, he seems to be gaining weight? I cannot tell he looks like he's growing...he has about 6-8 wet diapers, again he hasn't pooped in two days. I do have a sling I'll try that with him to free up my hands and read to Jordyn...she would love that, she gets so frustrated with the feeding time she tells him to "sit".

I'll keep you all posted with my progress, and its harder when your husband doesn't support you.

Edilsa

Something to keep in mind: Bottle feeding and digesting formula is just exhausting to a tiny baby. In my opinion, that's why they seem more "satisfied" after a bottle. They are tired. Breastfed babies need a little less sleep, are more alert, etc. So yeah, he's going to be a bit more demanding right now when getting your milk. I leaked like crazy right after my milk came in and it took several weeks for the supply to even out. Then I didn't leak so much.

I knew a baby who only pooped on Tuesdays. It was almost creepy. It wasn't ALWAYS Tuesdays, but it was always about 7 days apart. So Tuesdays became a mandatory bath day.

18 months is not an easy age either! You've got a lot on your plate. Your dear husband really should have known this would be stressful with or without formula. Second borns get sick more often and breastfeeding will help prevent and shorten illnesses. And no bottles to wash. Trust me, bottle or not, your situation is not going to be easy. Doable, but NOT easy. I'm sure that both babies are a real blessing to you and they will be great playmates in the future. When they are two and three, they will be less work because they will have each other. But still, gosh, I just want to send you an extra hour for a bubble bath all by yourself.

You seem like a wonderful mother. Be patient with yourself and your family and hang in there. Everything your baby is doing sounds perfectly normal for his age. Your mother sounds normal for her age too.

Dad, on the other hand.. Well you're right; the husband's support makes all the difference in the world in the beginning. Bring him over here.. let me talk to him...