Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: slave to pumping....

Default slave to pumping....

it has been many years since i last breastfed and i need to have my memory refreshed! my baby is 5 days old and like a newborn, sleeps...alot. i am of course feeding on demand, and attempting to wake her when she goes over 3 hours of sleeping and not eating. when i feel really full, i pump (medela mini-electric.) i am right in remembering that my milk will eventually adjust to her needs correct? i don't want to be a slave to pumping, nursing bras, pads etc... i know that it is very early yet, but when does the supply and demand usually meet?

Default Re: slave to pumping....

How much are you pumping? You should only pump enough to relieve the engorgement/pressure. Otherwise you are telling your body to make more than your LO needs and its a cycle. These early days it is important to allow that supply and demand naturally play its role in establishing your supply.

BTW and congratulations on the newest addition to your family!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I know how you feel! I had my first DD 13 years ago, and my new one is 6 months! (isn't it the best to have older kids to help?)

I agree with pp-don't pump unless you have to. Your baby will set your body to make exactly what you need. It usually takes about 6 weeks for you and your baby to find that perfect balance (some more, some less). Congrats on your new baby!

and congrats on the newest addition to your family!

quite honestly, I'm 4 months in and still a slave to my bras and pads. Once in awhile I'll attempt to go without either, or one or the other, but still get leaky at times.

If you're engorged, only pump enough to relieve pressure. Any more then that and it signals your body to make more milk, thus starting even more issues.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

How many feedings are you getting in in 24 hours? How are your lo's diapers? I have read that waking a lo goes better (if you need to do it to get in enough feedings) if you watch your lo for signs of lighter sleep such as movement.

I got major oversupply issues b/c I was pumping every time I felt full. If you feel you have to pump I'd recommend doing it only when you're uncomfortably full, or right before you nurse if she has trouble latching when you're full or has symptoms of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Pump just enough to make yourself comfortable, and if doing it before nursing, pump for no more than 3-5min (if you can feel your letdown, you want to pump until let down and then turn the pump off and let the milk flow out till it stops), I found that didn't increase my supply as much.

Quote Originally Posted by britlitgurl View Post
    i am right in remembering that my milk will eventually adjust to her needs correct?
    Yes. These two links explain how the whole process works. Although some of it is really technical, there's also a lot of info that turns out to be useful.

Frequently Asked Questions about Milk Production
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/mi...ction-faq.html

How does milk production work?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

i don't want to be a slave to pumping, nursing bras, pads etc... i know that it is very early yet, but when does the supply and demand usually meet?
    That's different for everyone, but I've heard different estimates ranging from 4 weeks to 8 weeks. I think mine evened out on the later side of that figure unfortunately LoL. I ditched the nursing pads at about 4 months, although I know mothers who are still using them at 12 months+. I also stopped wrestling with the pump fairly early on, and just switched to hand-expressing when I got too engorged. If you hate the pump as much as I did, maybe that's something to consider. HTH!

Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

even though everyone is different, I ditched the pads at about 4 months. Seemed like forever. I am still a slave to my pump though--but by choice, my dd nurses at night and in the morning and takes pumped milk through the day. But when I first started I mistakenly pumped and nursed and ended up with a severe oversuppl problem, so like the others said, you should onl pump just enough to relieve the pressure. Sounds like you are doing well though, keep up the good work!