Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Back - am I crazy?

Red face I'm Back - am I crazy?

Hi Ladies!

I'm back! Okay, so you all helped me out earlier this year relactating for my DD when she was 6 months old, I made it to 8 oz per day. Due to various reasons I stopped.

BIG mistake! I regret not continuing to pump, she loved my milk and I loved giving it! She is now 13 months. I've been lurking on the forums here just dying inside because I stopped! Now that she's older she is showing interest in my breasts and actually settling down a bit to let me rock her in my arms.

So I've decided to try it again. Even if we don't nurse I still feel it is important to produce milk for her and maybe since she's at the age where she curious and LEARNS very quickly we can try it again!

I'm looking for support here, am I nuts? I've already dug back into my domperidone, and fenugreek, I'm waiting on my blessed thistle to come in the mail. I've started pumping again and I've already got a few drops from each breast in only 2 days!

Am I crazy? There is just something so rewarding about providing comfort an nourishment for your child! I want a piece of it!

Oh I never stopped the skin to skin contact, we take baths together still so maybe that is why I got some drops so soon. The drops are increasing too with each pump. Maybe, just maybe I can do it this time! Is is crazy for me to START nursing/EP milk for a toddler? I know that it is normal to BF for years but I've never heard of anyone starting!

Oh, and I'm really into cloth diapers too! I found the forum so I'll be lurking there! I'm loving happy heinys! I'm almost jealous I don't have fleece underwear!

Thanks ladies! I missed you all!

Default Re: I'm Back - am I crazy?

I don't think it's too late

I don't know anything about relactation, but if it feels right to you I say go ahead with it. What a lucky little girl you have!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Congratulations on your plan to start relactating again! I think its great (coming from a successful relactator whose dd just turned 8 months). As you already know you'll have a tough road ahead of you but if your lo is already interested in your breasts than your just a step ahead. I'll be here to give you some of your much needed support. I definitely understand the yearning of wanting to provide your lo with the closeness and nourshiment that BFing can provide. I was in agony for almost 2 months until I figured out what was missing in my life. I'm so happy that you decided to do this for your lo. Keep me updated and let me know even your smallest victories so that I may share in your success.

Congrats on ur decision to relactate at 13months!!! I think its wonderful that you've decided to try again. I'm trying to relactate also, but my DD is only a month. We'll be here to support you, and I would love to hear about every small victory, because if you can do it at 13months, then I can do it at just one!!!

This is so awesome to read!! You're not crazy at all. You're a great mom.

I'm trying to relactate too. There are also a few others here. We're not nuts like some people might think ("Oh, just give her the formula!" people are getting on my nerves)- we are determined!

It's great to hear from you again - I was wondering what happened to you! I would think at that age, your daughter should be able to tell you whether she's really interested or not! If she seems really interested, and you're willing, I don't see why not. I have no idea how much milk you'd be able to get, but that's probably not the most important thing at this age anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by a_hex View Post
    This is so awesome to read!! You're not crazy at all. You're a great mom.

I'm trying to relactate too. There are also a few others here. We're not nuts like some people might think ("Oh, just give her the formula!" people are getting on my nerves)- we are determined!
    AHEX -- I am so tired of this, too! Hang in there. Neither of us are going to need formula much longer!

BTW, I don't know your story. Care to share? How long have you been at this? How old is your baby? What are you doing to relactate? At what stage in the process are you? Love to hear more!

Quote Originally Posted by relactatingmomforthelord View Post
    AHEX -- I am so tired of this, too! Hang in there. Neither of us are going to need formula much longer!

BTW, I don't know your story. Care to share? How long have you been at this? How old is your baby? What are you doing to relactate? At what stage in the process are you? Love to hear more!
    You're referring to me right? SOrry it's late and I'm tired...
    Here's the thread in which I decided to start nursing again. I'm updating on my progress even though it's totally in the wrong section of the forums now. It was originally an "increasing your supply" issue and now it's gone into relactation:
    http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=36563

Talking Re: I'm Back - am I crazy?

Hi Ladies!

Wow, thank you so much for the support! Well I'm up to a few drops now. I'm on 20 mg Domperidone 4 times a day, 3 times 3 pills of fenugreek, 3 times 2 pills Blessed Thistle, and just for good measure 1 prenatal pill.

Oh don't forget the round the clock pumping! Yeah I'm surprized at how quick is happened this time compared to last time! I'm doing brest compressions too that used to helped and really is having positive effects again this time.

So yeah she's interested in my breasts, pinching them! I hold a baby doll up and she copies me on herself with her bear! It is so cute! She also points to her own and says "whats that?" in toddler speak! So I'm doing the milk sign and saying mommy's milk. She knows sign language and she just sort of looks then laughs at me! But in any case I will keep trying, once I get something there to give her an idea of what it is then we'll really get on latching.

I had an older thread here in like the summer time but I'll re-tell here!

I don't know how to link my old thread to this one but happy reading!

DH is a career navy man so we move around alot and don't have any family close. My mom BF my brother and I, not for an extended amount of time but enough to be a supporter. However I had a really rough birth experience and DD had a VERY weak sucking reflex. I was overwhelmed, uneducated about BF, and no LC from the hospital. She was jaundice and had reflux (lasted until 8 months). So we had a million people pushing to give her formula and my mom was hundreds of miles away from me and we were all alone. So we ended up formula feeding. I cried when my breasts dried up (not because of pain, because it meant I failed). I desparately wanted to BF but DD kept pulling at the breast and SCREAMING. We didn't realize she had severe reflux until 8 weeks old and I was devastated because I realized it wasn't my BF that she was crying about! So anyway when she was 6 months I still had regrets and decided to find out if I could BF again and I found this forum. I got information and a TON of support here. She latched a few times but was definately attached to her bottle then at 8 months she weaned from the bottle to sippy cup so sucking became less and less a priority to her.

But at that time I had relactated up to 8 oz per day, then life hit and I couldn't pump as much and I gave up. But I still feel a loss! So I'm back! Since she's showing interest I thought it would be nice to give her something!

So that is my story! Oh and a supportive DH helps too!

If you ladies have any questions just ask! I'm so glad to find other's out here doing the same. Well not with a 13 month old but at least relactating!

Thanks for the support!