Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: quick question

Default quick question

I was just wondering, once your LO starts a bottle of milk how long would you say it should be finished in before discarding?
    I guess an example would be if they ate only say 1 oz and normally have 3 oz bottles, because they fell asleep ( I have a very sleepy babe) how long would you say you could let it sit in the event they wake back up shortly and want to finish?
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Default Re: quick question

couple of hours max for me.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I called an LLL leader with the same question. There's no real way to know when it's considered unsafe but she suggested saving it for the next feeding but throwing it away if it's still not finished after that.

We've always done the one hour rule (when the milk is warmed, the time starts... one hour later it is thrown away) based on some literature I was given in the breastfeeding class I took at the hospital. Some may think that's extreme but I'd rather be safe than sorry. We ended up offering smaller amounts of milk to not "waste" as much. It's worked for us.

Thanks ladies!
    Christine

Wife to Eddie. <3

"Per Breastfeeding, A Guide for the Medical Profession by Ruth Lawrence, MD (p. 438):

Breastmilk can safely stand at room temperature for 6 to 8 hours and need not be discarded if the first feeding attempt is incomplete. In contrast, formula must be refrigerated and discarded after the first feeding attempt because it contains no antibodies or infection protection factors."

""...Based on this study, which admittedly needs to be done on a larger scale, it would seem to me that expressed breast milk, fed to the baby, partially consumed, and then refrigerated, could be used for one more feeding no more than four hours later. That's probably fairly conservative. One of the best tests of whether the milk is spoiled is to do what you do with cow's milk: Smell it and taste it!" "
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/r...essedmilk.html

you are the best!!

thank you!!
    Christine

Wife to Eddie. <3