Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to get baby to open wide enough??

Unhappy How to get baby to open wide enough??

Hi, this is the second time I have breastfed and the first time worked for 14 months. This new one is 9 weeks old and has been a real challenge! She has a small rosebud mouth and somehow manages to close down and clamp part of my nipple every time. I am sore. We initially had to use a nipple shield, but are off of it now and she is gaining great (76th percentile in weight yesterday). I started thinking maybe I'd gotten cancer or something since my first baby did o.k., but I really believe this is a latch-on problem because once in a blue moon, we get it right and it doesn't much hurt. Help! Any tricks that have worked to get the babe to open wide?? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: How to get baby to open wide enough??

Here are a few things that worked for me:

brush baby's lips with your nipple a few times, don't put it in until the mouth opens wide (sometimes mine would start to fuss and then I'd stick it in)

pinch your breast just above the nipple between your first and middle finger (like scissors) so it is sort of squished flattish, push it into baby's mouth, then let go and your breast will push baby's mouth open when it unsquishes

sometimes blowing gently in her face would get her to open her mouth, though not wide. this worked better for when she'd fall asleep.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would gently put my finger in my newborn's mouth, gently pull down and out. I would do it about 4 times before she ate. I'd say "biiiig mouth". That seemed to help.

I also try to show her my open mouth to try to get her to mimic me.

Good luck!

I found that putting some gentle pressure, just a little tap really, on Haley's chin encouraged her to open wider. I'd just place my thumb on her chin and she'd open right up.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    Here are a few things that worked for me:

brush baby's lips with your nipple a few times, don't put it in until the mouth opens wide (sometimes mine would start to fuss and then I'd stick it in).
    This worked fo me too. I would also open my mouth wide and say Ahhh. I thought it worked but my DH says I was just very sleepy and he thought it was cute.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk