Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactating for twins

Default Relactating for twins

I have a friend who has twins, one boy and girl who were born a day after Norah. They're beautiful and healthy and she is eager to get them back to the breast.

They were breastfed for 4 weeks, a mixture of nursing on Mom and EBM in bottles. Mom started BC pills and also went back into the hospital with blood clots, nearly dying. When the stash ran out, the babies were started on formula.

When she came home she was still nursing, but her supply was gone. She continued to nurse the girl for another 4 weeks with no milk at all. The little boy showed a preference for the bottle, I think.

Anyway, she has a pediatrician who just put her los on rice cereal and they are not even four months yet. When I told her it seemed too early for cereal, she seemed really concerned (and is considering switching peds) and really interested in relactating.

She's worried though, that the girl was nursing for 4 weeks with no milk, why the stimulation was not sending the message to make milk.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

I already emailed her the sticky on this forum with all the articles as well as responses to recent posts, but any info. tailored to her situation would be helpful. Thanks!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: Relactating for twins

Lots of things come to mind. One, I have been in the process of relactating for one baby for 8 weeks and am only at a 1/2 supply. At four weeks, I wouldn't have been able to notice the amount of milk my son would have been getting at the breast. (I could barely pump 1/4 oz on each breast each pumping time).

Another thought is that the baby is using a shallow comfort suck.

Another thought is that the babies could have compromised latches.

Another thought is frequency of stimulation. It takes a lot. All the time. As a mom of twins myself, I don't think that I could have relactated and taken care of my boys. But then again, I didn't have much help, either.

Could she get a hospital grade double pump?
    Could she contact a IBCLC about the babies latch and possibly using herbals or medications to help increase her milk supply more quickly?

Look at the following websites:
    http://www.asklenore.com
    http://www.lowmilksupply.org

Great information at both.

Offer to fix this woman meals. Help with diaper changing, etc. She will need this in order to be able to relactate. It is a laborous task, but worth the effort.

Default Re: Relactating for twins

Thanks for your response, I will pass this on!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.