Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when is yogurt ok

Default when is yogurt ok

Just wondering if I can give my lo some yogurt? She tested negative to a milk allergy recently and was wondering if its too early, I don't really see a problem with it as long as its organic. Can anyone think of a reason ? or advice. She is not quite 7 mnths... thanks
    kate
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Default Re: when is yogurt ok

I started giving yogurt at 8 months on the advice of my doctor- Nora was on antibiotics. You could always try it and watch for a negative reaction.

You might want to try to find a yogurt that doesn't have a lot of extra sweeteners in it. I like to give plain yogurt and put my own fresh or frozen fruit in it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I gave dd yobaby yogurt about 7 months. I gave her half at first then about 8 months she started eating a whole thing. BTW-apple flavor is gross!!!
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

With our first, we gave her yogurt at about 8 months. She loves it to this day. I buy unsweetened plain yogurt, or make my own. If she wants something in it, I just chop up some fruit. When she was little, I'd puree some fruit and add it.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

heres some good info on what to look for
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html

Following are some reactions that may help you recognize an allergy in your baby:

Bloating, gassiness
    Skin rashes (for example, a sandpaper-like raised red rash on the face), eczema, hives
    Runny nose, stuffiness, constant cold-type symptoms
    Red itchy eyes, swollen eyelids, dark circles under the eyes, constant tearing
    Diarrhea, mucousy stools, intestinal upset
    A red rash around the anus
    Generally cranky behavior, fussiness, irritability, colic
    Vomiting or increased spitting-up
    Asthma
    Ear infections
    Poor weight gain due to malabsorption of food
    According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, six foods account for 90% of food allergies in children: cow's milk, eggs, peanuts, wheat, soy and tree nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc.). Other allergenic foods include: pork, fish and shellfish, oranges and other citrus fruits, berries, chocolate, tomatoes, corn, and food additives.

you can get probotics in pill form to give to baby if your uncomfortable giving cows milk...

heres more info
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...ts.html#yogurt

My son had had cow's milk based formula, so we gave him little bits of plain yogurt at 7 mo. He still hasn't had more than a tablespoon in a day.

He doesn't like store-bought plain yogurt - only Gma's!

thanks for the responses. very helpful
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

how do you test for a milk allergy? what's the different between plain or adult yogurt and yobaby? our LO is 8 1/2 months and i would like to give him some, but not sure about allergies and what kind to get. thanks!

I just bought some of the yobaby the other day and it has less sugar, it's organic and they have some that has DHA and cereal added. Oh yeah and it tastes a little gros I think it is gentler on baby's tummy becuase it dosen't have anything artificial of the bad sweetner, artificial sweetners etc...