Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheerios?

Default Cheerios?

My son is almost 8 months old and has been on solids for about a month and a half, kind of a loose baby-led thing. He loves apple, watermelon, cantaloupe, banana, avocado, and especially roasted green beans (which he pretty much gnaws and gets the juice from). He has two bottom teeth. Sometimes I put these things in his mesh feeder, and sometmes I don't; he seems to do ok (with some gagging of course) if I don't, but his dad is convinced that he is going to choke, so usually when I use the mesh thing it's to ease his mind.

When is it ok to introduce Cheerios or something similar? Would you do something different, instead of those? He has not had anything with wheat in it yet, but we have no family history of allergies and he has shown no signs of allergic reactions so far. I've read the containers of puffs, and they all say to wait until the baby is crawling. He isn't yet. I bought some rice rusks, but after reading the ingredients, they contain whole milk solids, and I wasn't sure he needed that yet. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Cheerios?

Cheerios was one of the first finger foods I gave Nora about 6/5 months. She has had no problems with them at all and she absolutely loves them. I broke them in half the first few weeks, but she can eat them whole now.

Of course she has a mouthful of teeth, too.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We introduces organic O's at 8 months and my LO swallowed them whole and beged for more. She is now 14 months and just started chewing them (only has 4 teeth).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I just started dd2 on cheerios (she's 9 months). They end up being a soggy mess about 1/2 of which she actually consumes at best. However, she seems to enjoy trying them out.

Amy

DS Cheerios! We gave them to him around 7 months I think and he would just gum them to death then swallow. He still only has his 2 bottom teeth so he doesn't really chew them yet. I just offered him one and saw that he did fine as far as not choking so I would feed him one at a time for a couple days then I just poured some onto his high chair tray and watched him. Easy peasy.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thanks for all your replies! I am ready to give him something new, and I think he will have a blast figuring out the O's. And so will our Lab, since I'm sure he'll share with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas's Mum View Post
    Thanks for all your replies! I am ready to give him something new, and I think he will have a blast figuring out the O's. And so will our Lab, since I'm sure he'll share with her.
    My dogs are always hanging around when they see DS get in his chair. I think he's figured it out cause at some point in the feeding he just starts dropping things on either sides and watches the dogs run back and forth.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by amymarie View Post
    My dogs are always hanging around when they see DS get in his chair.
    Mine, too! They gave up for awhile when dd1 started to eat a little bit neater, but are so excited to see another in the high chair again.

What kind of cheerios? regular? surely not honeynut? whole grain?
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

Definitely not honey nut or anything flavored. Probably organic, if it's available. If not, regular.