Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still Breastfeeding my 15 month old, but help

Default Re: Still Breastfeeding my 15 month old, but help

Quote Originally Posted by helens View Post

I have really persevered and am proud of my accomplishment of coming this far. My husband is proud of me too.
    You certainly should be proud of yourself. It sounds like you've been through a lot and you've done a tremendous thing for your baby.
    Keep going as long as you both want. It's great that your husband supports you, and it really is nobody else's business. It does hurt when people make such mean and unfounded comments, but try not to let it get to you. You're doing a great job.

The twins aren't quite one, and I'm beginning to get the same questions. Depending on who is asking, I answer a few different ways.

To the "you really shouldn't be doing that still, that's gross," I say: We'll stop when we're ready. And drop the conversation.

To the "I didn't really know people still breastfeed after a year," I am saying: It's still really good for them. The pediatrician and WHO recommend until 2. We'll take things as they come. If they have more questions, I honestly answer.

To my dad, who doesn't quite get it, but doesn't judge me, "It's still best for them, and we're having trouble with food allergies. This is the best way for me to get them the nutrients they need without being so concerned about what I can and can't feed them."
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

Thanks guys so much for all your advice and support! It's so good to have someone to vent with and share our experience. You have all given me some great advice and I think I shall just tell them all to butt out and mind their own business.

Thanks again for all your support!

Helen

This is great! I have been really lucky with the people I work with most closely.. I have a superior that has even stopped meetings in order to allow me time to pump, and he's quite a bit older, so it certainly wasn't expected. The rest of the company is less than nice about it at times, and I've found myself getting a bit rude about what is a HUGE invasion of one's privacy. Afterall, I don't comment on how they live their lives, why should they comment on how my family lives ours?!? Anyway, this will be a nice way to respond to that continued rude behavior

Well, no one has outright disrespected me by calling breastfeeding nonsense. How stupid! But I did get the "How long?" question. They usually seemed genuinely curious and since I was already nursing longer than I had thought I would I didn't know the answer.. So I'd say, "It depends on whether she's going to college out of state or not."

It lightened the mood and got them off my back. Plus it showed them that I felt no need to defend my decision and therefore it wasn't up for discussion.

But if they still seemed interested and I felt like talking about it, I'd talk about the WHO recommendations and the other interesting things I've learned along the way and how surprised I was that we were still going and how screwed up things are because of our dependency on formula.. and then I'd maybe continue with a rant about processed foods and the poor taste of tomatoes shipped halfway across the world..

But usually I just left it at the college answer.

I found that, for persistently rude folks, no answer and a change of subject lets them know that their opinion wasn't welcome and I'm not going to discuss it without having to say a word.