Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Breastfeeding my 15 month old, but help

Angry Still Breastfeeding my 15 month old, but help

Hi all,

I can't believe how nasty people can be when you breast feed after the age of 1.

My son has had lots of problems like a malrotated bowel which required surgery at 6 months and we have found out he is allergic to dairy and soy.

So my diet as well as my son's has had to change to accommodate this and their is no formula on the market that he can have (can't even have the lactose free ones). So I figure it's best to still get MM from me.

I feed in the morning, pump a feed a work and bf again before he goes to bed and during the night if he needs it.

People keep asking me when i will stop all that breast feeding nonsense - he doesn't need milk anymore - is what I am doing wrong? I thought that BF was the best thing for babies? He eats solids and drinks water or juice too throughout the day but he loves his MM.

Please advise, this really gets me down. I have really persevered and am proud of my accomplishment of coming this far. My husband is proud of me too.

Why do people have to be so nasty?

Default Re: Still Breastfeeding my 15 month old, but help

Im sorry your fealing so down!
    Do you know your local leader?
    she can help, lots of moms nurse well past 2!
    Your doing whats best for your little guy, you would think when you explained that he could not have cows milk people would be more understanding!
    He does need your milk!.

Smile Re: Still Breastfeeding my 15 month old, but help

All I can say is that some people feel threaten and jealous of the bond between breastfeeding mother and her older baby or toddler.

I have had a lot of crap from certain people too. So, I have printed a document from 'Jane's Breastfeeding Resources' and I keep it in my bag at all times. It's called "Breastfeed a Toddler: Why on Earth?" very handy, you can give it to these people to read and it gets me out of prickly spots with them.

http://www.breastfeeding.co.uk/index...d=30&Itemid=26
    Last edited by Milkmaid; November 20th, 2007 at 09:10 AM.

Congratulations on nursing your little one so long!

People keep asking me when i will stop all that breast feeding nonsense - he doesn't need milk anymore - is what I am doing wrong?
    He does still need your milk! So don't feel bad at all, you are doing the best for your child and your family. The majority of health organizations recommend breastfeeding until at least age 2, so give yourself a pat on the back for what you are doing.

I have a 16 month old nursling too, I pump once a day during my lunch break, and then he nurses in the evening, before bed, and all night long whenever he wants. I haven't had the criticism you seem to be getting, and people can be stupid, and downright nasty. Honestly, it is none of their d@mn business how long you nurse your child, especially when you are doing something so beneficial to your LO's health and wealth being.

I have had the occasional comment from co-workers who ask "how long are you going to do that", I simply respond "until he weans himself". If they ask anything else, or a rude follow up, I answer honestly and surely don't hide it. They're going to have an intelligent conversation with me about nursing, or the conversation ends. I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of, and you don't either.

Be proud of yourself, don't hide it, you are doing the best for your child.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with these comments. You will probably find as your lo gets older that the comments/questions come less frequently because people assume you have weaned. It's like the sleeping through the night question--there comes a point when people move onto something else. Hang in there, enjoy the special relationship of nursing a toddler, and know you continue to give him the best!

I am going through a similar thing with people because I am still nursing my 16 month old. I don't understand why I have to justify something that is quite private. BF is something between a mother and a child, nobody's business right? We are doing the best thing for our children and tell the nosy people to butt out if they make any more comments. That's what I do.

It's hard sometimes when you're getting flack-- but just remember you ARE doing the right thing, don't ever let anyone else's negative comments make you lose sight of that fact! Kudos to you, well done!!

Hey someone has to blaze the trail, kwim? If that means we have to listen to some criticism, well, at least maybe we can use it as a moment to try to educate. It's really hard though, no doubt.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkmaid View Post
    All I can say is that some people feel threaten and jealous of the bond between breastfeeding mother and her older baby or toddler.

AND, it's ignorance. "We fear the unknown and mock that which we do not understand"...(can't remember the author of that quote, but it's VERY true).

Congrats on your beautiful and successful bf relationship!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

You are doing the right thing. I do understand the stress from people saying it is not ok to nurse. My last boss told me when my LO turned 1 that I had to stop pumping in the office b/c my LO could have cows milk. I was pissed off and decided to nurse her until she was 5! I'm now at a new job with a great group of women (and moms) that support me fully.

Now if I can just make it through Thanksgiving with my Mom and SIL who insist I will spoil her with nursing.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Keep up the great work, you're doing a wonderful thing for your son's health and even through some hard stuff!
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06