Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting out . . .

Default Starting out . . .

Gabe is my first baby that I haven't done everything by "the doctor's book" IYKWIM. So honestly, while I've BF and done solids w/ my other two, the BFing really just stopped once solids started. I've also always started w/ rice cereal at 4 months and then did the Gerber jarred foods a few weeks later. I don't really wanna go that route again but am not sure where to start to be honest . . .

I plan on nursing Gabe until he decides he's done, whenever that is. So I don't know how to incorporate nursing into solid feeding. Also, it seems as though I don't need to start w/ rice cereal. What is a good feeding plan? And when do I actually START all this? He's 5 months 1 week old . . . Thanks ladies - I really appreciate all the assistance you've given me.

Default Re: Starting out . . .

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Hey Sha'ada, as my ds is only 2 days apart from yours, I'm in the same position. I've read a lot about baby led solids/weaning and I like the sounds of it. My understanding of it is that there isn't a true need for purees. That around 6 months, a baby has the pincher reflex and can (and should) be able to bring foods to their mouths on their own. This is an approach that's very consistent with nursing as the amount consumed is controlled ("led") by the baby. Food is introduced in french-fry size portions so they can grab it, and its fully cooked so its soft. Common first ones I've read about that I'm considering starting with are avocado, banana, squash and broccoli. Its a very relaxed approach it seems like, basically that the first couple months of solids are a time for exploring and enjoying the social aspects of eating. Those links are really helpful, but I thought I'd give you a nutshell!

Its crazy to think its almost time to start solid foods!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Haley started a couple weeks shy of 6 months. She was sitting up by herself and able to pick things up pretty well. Oh, and she was ogling our food and trying to grab it out of our hands!

We have given her a whole banana, slices of cantaloupe, peaches, pears, sweet potatoes.... It's fun to give her something and just let her have at it! I sometimes give her whole items, like the banana, and let her squash it up with her fingers and jaws. Other times I will mash things up a bit, and she loves to dig in and squeeze it through her fingers! She also likes to practice with the spoon, so I have pureed some things for her or done mixes, like banana mixed into rice cereal or oatmeal.

Right now it's mostly just for practice, so I offer her something a few days a week, when I have something on hand and think of it. I am just about ready to start being more consistent about offering something to her once a day, and I imagine in a couple months we'll bump it up to twice a day, and so on from there. I make sure to let her nurse a while before I offer any solids so she's still getting mostly BM for nutrition. She decides how much she wants to "eat" of the solids.

When you think Gabe's ready (great links listed above!), just start with one of the lesser allergenic foods, like bananas or pears or canteloupe or something along those lines. It's up to you whether you want to do BLS or purees. And just take it slow and enjoy it. There's no "rule" about how often/how much; it's all about practicing and learning about foods. Have fun!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the links AND the comments. It's amazing how everytime one has a baby, they have the choice on how to parent. I have changed so much since having Jacob 3 years ago - and really in such a positive way. How grateful I am for that!!!

I'm stressed about the mess - I know that sounds retarded, but I am beyond anal retentive about cleanliness. BLS sound messy!!!! Sounds like an adventure for Gabe though

I too cannot believe solids time is right around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by shahadaghan View Post
    I'm stressed about the mess - I know that sounds retarded, but I am beyond anal retentive about cleanliness. BLS sound messy!!!! Sounds like an adventure for Gabe though
    Looking at the pics people post of their LO eating - it looks to me like all early attempts at food are pretty messy ...

We did some "damage" control on the mess by:
    - stripping DS to just diapers for really messy foods
    - using an old towel on the floor to catch food that fell (whether by accident or being flung) ... other people use a plastic sheet or a shower curtain
    - getting a big waterproof bib (I thought the cloth bibs were pretty useless)
    - a place mat with a "bucket" that caught most of the food

And when DS really started eating foods (at about 8 or 8.5 mo) and got interested in dropping foods over the side, we very consistently held out a hand and said "if you're done with that food, please give it to mommy ... we don't throw food on the floor". It took alot of patience - but DS did eventually learn to give us food that he didn't want to eat (or put it back on his tray).

We keep a dish towel handy at meals to catch any serious messes (as well as for me to wipe my hands on).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

MoMmY316 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

i was the same way with my first 2 and when i had aliyah i was determined to bf. i didnt start foods till she was 6mo..and some say that their baby could use the pinch reflex, well aliyah was able to pinch but not make it to her mouth real well so i would do both i did find a brand of baby food in jar that was chunky and she did well (beech nut) and she pretty soon when she turned 7 mo is when she got the hang of putting food to her mouth..now at 11 mo i still nurse first and then food..

Quote Originally Posted by shahadaghan View Post
    My DH has issues with the mess. It's actually hard for him to watch Haley eat. But we have a big "splat mat" under the high chair and little face wipes ready to go when she's finished. Just keep thinking how cute Gabe looks with banana smeared all over his face and how much fun he's having. You'll get to clean it all up soon enough!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Hey,

Read my "Baby Union" post to see what happened when I tried to do BLS

LO is enjoying her soups right now, so I'm going with it. I'll try offering her pieces of food again in the near future.

I waited till 7 months despite the fact that Sarit tried to put everything (including plastic bags, newspaper and chocolate cake) in her mouth starting at around 4 months. Because she was not very picky about what she tried to "eat," I decided I didn't trust her judgement and waited longer. She was sitting up at 6 months but I still deprived her of "real" food (I hate that term, as if breastmilk didn't cause her to double her birthweight in 3 1/2 months and make a really happy, healthy baby!)

At any rate, don't feel bad about waiting or doing your own style of BLS!

-Reena
    due Mid-March
    Sarah's daughter z"l - Rich's wife b"l - Sarit's (27 March 2007) mother am"v
    Self Proclaimed Baby Wearing Fanatic
    ing our cloth diapers

The best thing for BLS mess is a doggie. We have two that anxiously await solids time and they lap up everything off the floor.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09