Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Steaming methods

Default Steaming methods

One reason I don't do more BLS is because my steamer takes FOREVER to heat up. I mean a long time. A few times in the past 2 months, I did steam some veggies which I then heated in the micro when I wanted to give them, but they were just so limp and unappetizing-looking. DS immediately rejected them.

Boiling removes a lot of the nutrients. I hadn't considered cooking in the micro. My micro is a cheap one and has a dial instead of a number pad so I can't exactly control the amount of time. Perhaps I should try it anyway?

Is there an easier way to serve soft veggies that I am overlooking in my perpetual state of exhaustion?
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Steaming methods

I have a steamer basket that I use on the stove in a pot that works well (and was cheap! woohoo). I have a "real" steamer but it's in storage. The basket works fine and takes up almost no space, which is at a premium in our house. The other thing I can think of is maybe roasting vegetables. Thomas loves green beans cooked that way.

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I have a steamer that goes on the stove. i boil water in the kettle and use that. Or I use a sieve or colinder over a normal saucepan and put a lid over it.

My husband's latest attempt to talk me out of spending any money was in regards to a steamer . We have a metal drainer for spaghetti (I think its actually for veggies but we use it as a colinder) and he said to put a little water in a big pot, and place the colinder over it so that its not touching the water. Just the steam will come up and get it. You wouldn't be able to do this with a plastic one, so if you want a way that's convenient you could pick up a metal colinder. This would also prevent doing a ton of dishes as I'll re-use the big pot since it only had a small amount of boiling water in it. A microwave veggie steamer might be good too, that would be quick & easy. I'd still try your microwave out if I were you, dial and all!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

I too have a metal steamer basket. It folds up for storage. You place it on top of a pot of boiling water and steam away!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Oh, yeah - I am losing it. Duh. I don't know why I never thought to look for the steamer basket when I was out shopping for a steamer! (Which is only used to make DS's food - DH cooks rice in a pan, go figure. He's the rice person in our house.) I can also try the collander over the pan. I had thought of this but since my recent gas oven fiasco, my exhausted mind wasn't sure if that was safe or not.

Thanks ladies!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky