Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply Decreasing

Default Milk Supply Decreasing

I'm looking for suggestions to boost my milk supply a bit. My baby is 4 months old and nurses exclusively during the week. On the weekends, I work 12 hours a day and have been noticing that lately by the end of the day, I need to supplement with a bottle. Usually it's just one formula bottle, but I'd rather not supplement with formula at all. I'm also down to my last few feedings in the freezer. I have not been able to get away to pump on most days during the weekend more than once since the hospital is so busy. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Milk Supply Decreasing

For building your milk stash, try pumping first thing in the morning before DB nurses. I do this on days even when I don't use a bottle, and it's helped. I get a lot more milk in the morning.

For helping your supply in general, here are the things I've done: water, rest (!), oatmeal, fenugreek capsules, More Milk Plus (this is a tincture available in some health food stores). I'm not a beer drinker, but some swear by Guinness.

I am sorry that you are having trouble keeping up with your baby's needs. May I ask why you are using formula if you have milk in the freezer? Also, how many days do you work on the weekend?

Some moms find that co-sleeping helps in this type of situation. Baby is more likely to reverse cycle-nurse while with mom- and take less EBM while away from mom. Check this out, this is a good article with lots of info, but also some on reverse cycling:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug96p118.html

Let us know what you think!

We are down to the very last of my frozen milk supply. I think that the reason that my husband has been using formula is that simply it's easier for him. When she gets hungry, she's not so keen on waiting for something to be heated up for her. He's also by himself on the weekend with 4 children, so inevitably there is someone else needing his attention too. I work Saturday and Sunday 12 hours each day. The hospital is very busy these days and I'm lucky some days to find time to pump once let alone more than that. Yesterday I was lucky to get away twice. I don't think that co-sleeping is going to work for us. We've been blessed with children that sleep through the night very early, and at not quite 4 months, the baby already is. Not that I'm complaining about the sleeping through the night. It's just that she's doing so well with breast feeding and so am I and I don't want to loose that supply with her so young. I wasn't able to nurse any longer than 2 1/2 months with any of our other children and want to nurse as long as I can.