Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stomach flu

Default stomach flu

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I haven't been on and properly introduced myself b/c I have been sick.

So, here's my question.

My last meal was Sat night. I have had toast since then, some broth, and crackers. Also, drinking a lot of gatorade.

I am still running fever, running to the bathroom, etc. I know my fluid out put is exceeding my intake, simply b/c I can't keep up running to the bathroom, etc. Sorry if tmi.

I am exclusively bfing. Is there a point when I need to be concerned about my supply? How long can my body keep up w/out proper nutrition and possibly fluids?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: stomach flu

I've been lucky enough to have 2 stomach flus since my dd was born 8 months ago. Obviously I went several days basically without eating too. It was all I could do to stay hydrated. I think it took me longer to really feel better because of the extra taxing of my body due to nursing, but I don't think in the long run that any damage was done. I did have some milk in the freezer, so I could let my husband give her a bottle now and then when I was just too exhausted to nurse, and that may have helped a bit.

I hope you feel better soon! Try to get as much rest as you can (LOL, I know we'd all like to do that!).

How are you feeling now? Better, I hope!

You might find this article helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html

I hope you're feeling better, Cindy. In the meanwhile, you might try drinking small amounts at a time. This could help your body absorb more of the fluids.

If you feel like you are dehydrated or close to it, certainly call your doctor right away!

To help keep your milk production up, continue to drink your fluids and to nurse as often as you can. Most importantly, REST.

*If* your production was to decrease a little, frequent nursing, rest, and good nutrition will go a long way toward restoring it.

Take care of yourself, and do let us know how you're doing!

I'm moving this thread to Infants, where it will recieve more replies.

I had a nasty stomach bug not long ago, and wound up at the hospital with an IV in my arm to rehydrate me! Just keep trying to drink water, and if you get concerned, please go to the doctor.