Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cutting back on pumping? [sorry, long]

Default Cutting back on pumping? [sorry, long]

My son is now 10 months old, and eats a lot of food, and I'm thinking about starting to cut back on the amount of milk I send to daycare (he would still be nursing plenty at night and on the weekends). I'm looking for suggestions on how to do this. Currently he gets 3 bottles of 4 ounces each on days when I don't come in, and 2 bottles of 4 ounces when I come in at lunch to feed him. I am thinking to reduce the amount that he gets in his last bottle of the day, and possibly eliminating it entirely, over the next month or so.

At around 12 months, I am thinking to introduce cow's milk, and possibly cut back even further (assuming no allergies to cow's milk). I would like to continue to give him some breastmilk during the day, but it's going to become harder, because starting in January (at exactly the same time he turns 12 months), I will be teaching two classes back to back for a total of about 4 hours with no break long enough to pump, plus an hour commuting time in the morning before class after which I won't be guaranteed to have time to pump between travel and when the class starts (if that makes any sense). The two classes back-to-back is only one day per week.Then I will have two other teaching days where I will only be teaching for an hour plus commuting time, then working from home the rest of the day. And two days working from home the whole day. It is REALLY inconvenient to carry both my pumping bag and my laptop bag to work with me on one bus and two trains, after dropping my son off at daycare, which is what I am doing now.

So one thing I am thinking is after 12 months to leave my pump at home, and pump once in the afternoon on the days when I am teaching a short time, not pump at all on the one day a week I teach a long time (or pump once immediately after I get home before picking up my son?), and pump once or twice on the days I'm working from home. Continue to breastfeed on demand on nights and weekends. Has anyone ever done an erratic pumping schedule like this? Am I going to get badly engorged? Alternatively, I could bring my pump with me on the one long-teaching day and pump before heading home, if that would help with a possible engorgement problem. Or should I not worry about that this late in the game? Or would it just decrease my supply too drastically and effect my weekend feeding? I've never gone more than 4 hours without pumping or feeding, so I honestly don't know what would happen. I had low milk supply early on, so I never really got engorged.

I guess I'm just looking for thoughts on this plan, and anything I haven't thought of? Also, how/when did others begin to decrease their pumping?

Default Re: Cutting back on pumping? [sorry, long]

I don't think I can answer your questions, I'm at the same crossroads, mine are about 10 months and the pumping has got to go. Mine only eat about 1 bottle of 5oz while I'm at work, and nurse otherwise. I usually pump 2x and am phasing out the first pumping session by slowly decreasing the time I pump. I haven't noticed it affecting my supply when I nurse them, and I do know that even though I don't pump between 12-5pm, I can still nurse them on the weekends at 12, 3 and 5pm, without any problems. I plan to start phasing out the last pumping session at a year and give them the EBM I have in the freezer, and cow's milk after that, but keep nursing when I'm around indefinitely. A baby over a year old only needs about 18-20oz of milk, and mine could get that from the 3-4 nursings they already do around my work schedule. Hopefully when I stop pumping I'll still be able to nurse them whenever they want to.

That's really helpful, actually! I didn't know that figure of 18-20oz. If so, maybe I can get away with just pumping once per day on every day except the long teaching day. That way there wouldn't be such a big discrepancy between days (rather than trying to pump twice on some days). He should easily be able to get to 20oz from the nursing he would do at home.

I can sure imagine you're ready to quit if you've been pumping for twins!

One thing that helped us a lot was consolidating their milk and solid feedings per our pediatrician's recommendation. At this age they should be able to drink 6oz of milk and eat all their solids in one sitting, provided their last food was 3hrs before that. I was nursing them at 7:15, they got breakfast at 8:30, attempted a bottle at 10:00, lunch at 12:30, attempted a bottle at 3:30, nurse at 4:30, dinner at 6, nurse at 7:30. We switched it to 7:15 nurse/breakfast, snack with water by 9:30, bottle/lunch at 12:30, snack with water by 2:30, nurse/dinner at 5, nurse before bed. They started drinking more from the one bottle and nursing more at 5 and 7:30, and really emptied me out in the am. It freed me up to start decreasing my pumping.