Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 mos: can I wean even if he doesn't take a bottle or sippy well?

Default 9 mos: can I wean even if he doesn't take a bottle or sippy well?

DS is 9 months and I want to wean to either formula or my frozen EBM; maybe just keep the morning nursing session. My question is, can I do this if my son does not take the bottle or sippy very well? He stopped taking the bottle at 6 months (and many times before this too). And he really doesn't care to spend time sucking on a sippy. He will take a few sips but then bang and throw it around.
    Our family is going through a big transition. We just moved out of state and we are hitting that 9 mo period where all DS wants to do is crawl and walk. This past week he has had no interest in nursing during the day. I am sometimes able to get him to nurse some before his naps but even if he does it is very little. Then I have a hard time pumping the rest out. My supply is dropping because I get so stressed about this new move, and always making sure he eats and nurses well (he has gained weight very slowly since refusing the bottle) plus I got my period last month and it's probably coming back in a few weeks. I would like to stop nursing soon - I think it would be less stressful for me, my husband and my son...Another issue -- He's starting daycare next week and will go all day without me there to nurse him. They are going to give him what they can in a sippy cup.

I would appreciate any thoughts, advice and feedback. I hear and read a lot of conflicting things so it's very confusing. I've read its OK if he just nurses 2 times a day as long as he eats solids and yogurt etc...(He does this but I have to spend so much time getting him to eat his food - he just can't sit still!!)

Thanks,
    So Confused

Default Re: 9 mos: can I wean even if he doesn't take a bottle or sippy well?

Wow you sure have a lot on your plate right now! I can sympathize with you. My family moved 2000 miles across the country twice in three months. I am going to include some links regarding weaning and bottle usage. If baby really puts up a fight with the bottle and sippy cup, you might need to just give him his liquids in a regular cup until he decides he wants to use the latter. ( However this may be a tough one with the daycare. But if it happens that baby still isn't taking a bottle or sippy by the time he has to start, then the daycare providers really have no choice but to give him his liquids any way they can. )

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/wean.html

I am so glad you came to the forum and posted your situation. I know how hard and how frustrating it can be moving to a completely new place where you don't know anyone, and on top of it all you have to return to work. When we moved, I took up a part time job in the evenings to supplement our income. It was during this time that I had discovered I was pregnant again, and my milk supply was really diminished. We had started supplementing my son, who at the time was just 6 months old. I thought that weaning him completely would make my life easier too, just like you feel right now. It ended up being one of the worst decisions I made while we were out west, and on top of being pregnant and dealing with hormones from that, my psyche was further challenged by weaning. I was very depressed and talked constantly about the whole thing. I probably drove my husband nuts!
    With all of the stresses that come with moving to a new place and not knowing anyone, and spending long periods of time away from your baby, you just might find that even if you nurse him in the morning and at bedtime, those times will be the times you look forward to the most during your hectic day. You will know the right thing to do for your own family and your own situation though. Try not to stress too much during this time. You've already done a great job nursing him 9 months! Keep us posted, ok?

I weaned our older son at 9 months and at the time he wouldn't take a bottle or sippy cup very well. It took us 6 years to get pregnant with him and I was eager to get back on the fertility treatment train and needed to get my prolactin levels back to normal in order to do so. So I weaned him as slowly as I could but there was a little "if he's hungry enough he'll drink it" thrown in. And he did. And became a bottle/formula junkie for the 3 months he had them, ironically.

Good luck to you. Moving is torture.

Thanks for your support and sympathy. It's always nice to know someone else out there understands what I am going through. An update since I posted this earlier today...he is now refusing to nurse before bedtime!!!! I was very bummed about this but we will see how tomorrow goes since it will be his first day at daycare without me around. Maybe he will want to nurse before bedtime like he used to. I'll let you know how it goes....thanks again!!!

I also forgot to mention that this afternoon and tonight he has started to BITE down/gnaw on my nipple as he nurses. Is this a sign that my supply is low or that he's frustrated about waiting for my let down?

More often than not, biting and chewing is a sign that he is getting teeth. Does he have any teeth yet? If not, this could be the time. My son is 10 months old, got his two bottom teeth at 6 months, and now he's getting his two top ones and has been refusing to eat, rubbing his face a lot, and crying
    Severe teething will definitely change eating habits and diminish baby's appetite until the worst has passed. It is very unlikely a baby under 12 months would show TRUE desire to wean. Hang in there and continue to offer your breast and see what happens.

He got his bottom 2 teeth at 6 months and his top teeth at 8 months. Only the second top tooth is halfway out. I'm going to keep pumping as much as I can.

So I guess I am talking to myself on this board...but whatever it makes me feel better to tell someone or something about it!

DS's first day at daycare is today and so far he hasn't had any fluids. He refuses to take anything from the sippy. I know I still need to give this time. Anyway, one of the caregivers is an RN and she says she is going to try to give him table foods to eat to increase his calories since he isn't taking the milk in a sippy. She said by 1 year he should be on all table food and whole milk on the side but since he isn't taking milk now then the only option is to get him to eat more table foods to increase calories. Does this sound right to you? I am waiting a call back from my doctor's office and lactation consultants. I'm so stressed out...

Just so you don't think you are talking to yourself, I thought I would respond. I was going to ask about your pumping but if he's not going to take it then I'm not sure. My son is 7 months and takes EBM in a bottle. We haven't tried the breastmilk in a sippy cup yet but he has had water in it. He has had water in a cup as well. (He grabbed my husband's water so he let him try some and he liked it.). I guess my only advice would be to try having your daycare give it to him in a regular cup and see how he likes that. He may spill half of it but at least he would be getting some. Hang in there.

Trying including yogurt on his diet. My mom tells me I stopped drinking milk when I was a little over 10 months (I wasn't BF), my diet at that time was baby food, yogurt and cheese. Talk to your ped about it and see what he thinks about your baby not drinking milk.