Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby doesn't fall asleep after feeding

Default Baby doesn't fall asleep after feeding

Every mom I've spoken to tells me her baby falls asleep right after a feed but mine doesn't. He (8 wks old) eats (waking up three times a night), then looks around inquisitively and if we put him to bed, he'll start fussing and crying. We end up needing to walk him around for at least 30 minutes before he falls asleep in our arms. And then we have to quietly bring him to bed with us. It's driving me crazy! Do you think there's anything I can do to help get him to fall asleep quicker?

Default Re: Baby doesn't fall asleep after feeding

My son never fell asleep breastfeeding, or after, until he was about 6 months old. I know you're probably tired, but waking up 3 times during the night is very normal at that age (and beyond).

If you haven't already tried, keep the lighting low, the stimulating interactions to a minimum (including diaper changes), and try to remain as relaxed as possible. Some people find that white noise helps too.

Things I have been told...keep the lights low, try to avoid diaper changes after feeding unless your lo one poops (because it usually tends to wake them), keep interaction with your baby minimal (if you talk to them and engage them they will perk up usually), swaddling and white noise.

whats it like during the day?
    sometimes they have their days and nights mixed up..
    At night I would keep it as dark in the room as I could so that baby can tell the diffence between day and night.
    Lots of families co-sleep and that works well for them.

my son is 7 wks today and we havent had a problem with he or my daughter sleeping, we do co sleep however and i am sure that is why. my son started sleeping through the night last week. (11 or 1130 til 5)
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

We do co-sleep and have tried everything in the book (dimming lights, white noise, etc) but he seems to love loud noise and the daytime! Once night hits, he gets upset. It is driving us nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by BFmama View Post
    Once night hits, he gets upset. It is driving us nuts!
    Just a though that most won't agree with...

Could your lo be having a reaction to something you've eaten??? The only reason I ask, is because my LO was the same way...would almost "wake up" after a feeding at night rather than sleep. And this only happened at night when we were trying to get her down for bed. She was really fussy. I cut out dairy per peds orders and after a few days, she fell asleep...NO problem and the fussiness disappeared! I slowly added dairy back to my diet after a month or so and now I eat everything and LO sleeps great!! Just a thought! It worked for us! Now she ALWAYS and only falls asleep at the breast and we co-sleep with light background noise!

He's just discovered how exciting the world is and he wants to experience it, even if you're ready to crash! Keep trying...he'll get there soon!