Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do you handle...

Default how do you handle...

when we're in public or playgroups with the moms club, DS tends to pull at my shirt, or lift it up CONSTANTLY and I start getting the looks from other moms. He likes to have a couple comfort sucks here and there, especially when he is tired, hurt, or unsure of something. At home I am so laid back with him, I let him nurse on and off all day, and I don't mind if he lifts my shirt. I wouldn't even mind in public, if it wasn't so frequently. Any suggestions?

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: how do you handle...

Here's some info on Nursing Manners that may give you some ideas.

I personally think that it is ok to start setting boundaries / limits or explaining to LO that they can only do certain behaviours at home.

When we're out - I take snacks & a sippy with water. I've often been successful with telling LO that he can have snacks now and we'll BF when we get home (or somewhere else that I want to nurse DS).

I got tired of DS pulling on my shirt and frantically grunting at me - so I was able to teach him to use the sign language for "milk" (opening and closing fist - think of milking a cow ) which DS now uses most of the time. Unless people know sign language they don't have a clue and think DS is just being cute.

I've read that other moms have made up their own signal to use with their LO, or if the LO is talking use a code word (something more discrete than LO yelling "boobie").
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    that or hang with other BF mommas that understand

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I am trying to meet moms similar to my parenting style. When I first had Joshua I joined a Stay at Home Moms club in the area. They ALL leave their children to CIO, and they all think extended nursing is "not for them". I am having a hard time relating to them. However, it's nice to get out and let Joshua play with other kids. I also recently joined a Sling Baby group, and they are so different! I am trying to go to more and more of their outings.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

do you have a local LLL group? Thats a great place to meet like minded moms.
    As toddler gets older you can expect him to understand were he cann't nurse and where he can.
    The last place we dropped was the library. There was a nice private place to nurse.
    You can always excuse yourself from the main area, and find some place more private to nurse.

I had the same problem. I taught him the sign language for milk and he now uses it all the time and rarely pulls at my shirt now at 19 months.
    Last edited by keriacat; December 4th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.