Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latching on

Default Latching on

I have been struggling (low milk supply, supplementation, pain) with BFing for four weeks now. My nipples have been severe to moderately sore for the past two weeks. I can't seem to get enough areola in my baby's mouth. Last night I just happened to get enough in and was not in pain, but am clueless to how I did it. I've read and reread books on latching on, have seen a LC, but am still having problems. Are there any tricks to getting a better latch?

Default Re: Latching on

I really struggled for the first five or six weeks, too. I think, for me, when I pull my DS to the breast with an open mouth, I get a better latch.When he chews his way on it hurts more. I think as they get bigger it gets better as well. Hang in there

Hi Amy -- bravo to you for persisting for four weeks! Nipple pain is awful. But ... you and your baby were able to nurse without pain once last night, which is a very encouraging sign that together you're on the verge of figuring this thing out. Hang in there -- many moms find that if they can stick it out feeding to feeding through the first 6 weeks or so, suddenly it gets easier as the baby gets older and more coordinated.

As you've already discovered, there's a big difference between reading a book about breastfeeding and actually doing it. I will share some more reading with you only if you promise not to feel frustrated or incompetent if you and your baby don't work quite the way the drawings and explanations say you should. Each nursing dyad is unique in so many complex ways -- there's a steep learning curve and in the end, it's something that mom and baby figure out together, not something that an expert teaches you to do.

Look at http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing/index.html -- especially the links under "How breastfeeding works."

I also recommend that you contact a local LLL Leader and if possible attend a meeting. Hands-on help and also just watching other mothers and babies nursing can help you get through this to pain-free nursing. Hang in there, and don't hesitate to post again.

--Rebecca

Rebecca,

The pictures on the link really helped. I still am having problems getting the bottom of my nipple away from her bottom lip and also I seem to have areolar skin folded so that it is pinching. Still working on it. Thanks for the help.

Amy